So you want to join the Institute for Nonprofit News? Here’s how:
- Before you do anything else, please review the membership standards. We cannot accept you until you are in compliance, and once you join you’ll be required to sign a contract agreeing to them—so study up now and avoid surprises further down the road.
- Fill out an application. You’ll be required to pay a $50 non-refundable fee, but this is more to ensure you are serious about joining—these fees don’t even come close to covering the time it takes to process your application.
- We’ll acknowledge the receipt of your application within one week and then begin our review process. Once we’ve got all the information we need, we’ll make a recommendation to our Board of Directors and it will convene for a formal vote. This can take anywhere from 30 to 90 days, but we’ll keep you apprised of your application’s status throughout.
- If the board rejects your application, it’ll do so in writing, stating which of the membership standards it believes your organization has failed to meet. If you wish, you may submit an appeal including any further documentation supporting your organization’s qualification. INN will communicate with you until we can reach clarification.
- If approved, we’ll ask you to sign the membership agreement, and submit the appropriate dues payment before you can officially be considered a member. You can take as long as you want to review the agreement and we are happy to answer any questions you may have. However, unless the document violates your state’s law, we will not make any revisions—it is a standard agreement which all of our members must sign. INN reserves the rights to amend, change, edit and make additions to both the membership standards and/or binding membership agreement at any time with prior notification of at least 30 days to the member organizations.
- Once we have all your documentation in order, we’ll co-sign your agreement and schedule a long phone call to familiarize you with all of the benefits of membership. Congratulations! You’re one of us.
Please contact Membership Coordinator Laura Bertocci at with any questions about this process.