The program is being held June 9, 2011. On June 10-12, reporters will be able to attend the IRE Conference, with dozens of sessions that will help journalists improve their reporting and editing skills, give them tips and techniques for doing watchdog and investigative stories and give them the chance to network with many of the best people in the business.
This series of panels is designed for established centers, including those just getting off the ground and journalists who are considering starting a center. Sessions will focus on key areas including best business practices, successful fundraising, editorial collaboration, applying digital tools for content and business and meaningful audience engagement.
Sponsors include the John S. and James L. Knight Foundation, the Ethics and Excellence in Journalism Foundation, the Center for Investigative Reporting/California Watch and the Center for Public Integrity.
Thursday, June 9, 2011 Schedule: (Panelists, Moderators and Titles subject to change)
1. Staying Alive: * Kevin Davis, Investigative News Network *Joe Bergantino, New England Center for Investigative Reporting *Bill Buzenberg, Center for Public Integrity; *Leonard Witt (moderator), Executive Director, Center for Sustainable Journalism, Kennesaw State University * Updated *
2. The Ask: *Sue Hale, Ethics and Excellence in Journalism Foundation *Laura Frank, Rocky Mountain Investigative News Network *Vikki Porter, Knight Digital Media Center, USC Annenberg School for Communication & Journalism * Brant Houston, University of Illinois (moderator) * Updated *
3. Let's Work Together: *Lorie Hearn, The Watchdog Institute, *Mc Nelly Torres, Florida Center for Investigative Reporting, Gordon Witkin, Center for Public Integrity; *Andy Hall, Wisconsin Center for Investigative Journalism (moderator)
4. Avoiding Risk: *Lucy Dalglish, Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press *David Ardia, Citizen Media Law Project/Online Media Legal Network *Guylin Cummins, Sheppard Mullin Richter & Hampton LLP *Mark Horvit, IRE/NICAR (moderator)
5. Tech Tips: *Rich Robinson, Investigative News Network *Chase Davis Center for Investigative Reporting/California Watch *Jennifer 8 Lee; *Kevin Davis, Investigative News Network (moderator)