April 17, 2015
TITLE: Executive Director and Chief Executive Officer
LOCATION: Relocation for this role not required
COMPANY: Institute for Nonprofit News
The Institute for Nonprofit News, formerly known as the Investigative News Network (“INN”), began in response to the need and demand for high quality public service journalism. Established as a not-for-profit company, INN now has over 100 member organizations. Its mission is to provide education and business support services to our nonprofit member organizations and promote the value and benefit of public-service and investigative journalism.
It accomplishes this by:
- Identifying operational and revenue-generating best practices and training our members on them.
- Developing business leadership among nonprofit news organizations.
- Establishing partnerships, collaborations and strategic alliances to advance our mission.
- Promoting public service journalism as a philanthropic investment.
- Leveraging funding dollars to maximize impact.
- Offering affordable back-office services to individual organizations.
RELATIONSHIP: This position reports to the Board of Directors.
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES: The CEO will have overall responsibility for all aspects of the strategy and operations of INN and will serve as the Institute’s public face and its primary voice.
The CEO will develop and expand the network of non-profit journalism organizations.
Other responsibilities include:
- Working with the board to set the strategic direction of the organization and the annual and long-term goals – and accountability for achieving those goals.
- Identifying new business opportunities that respond to member and market needs.
- Planning and executing innovative programs.
- Developing member and distribution partner relationships
- Developing, implementing, and executing fundraising strategies.
- Managing effectively a staff focused on new media technology, training in best business practices, and support for member organizations.
- Managing finances and keeping the board well-informed of budget and financial issues.
- Developing and seeing to completion technology initiatives for INN and its member organization.
- Acting as the principal spokesperson for INN and as an ambassador for its members and for the nonprofit journalism sector.
- Promoting an organizational culture of cooperation, innovation, creativity, participation, fairness, and mutual respect.
QUALIFICATIONS: Qualified candidates must have the following:
- Five years experience in executive-level leadership and digital technology. A forward thinking leader with proven managerial abilities, organizational talent, team building, and well-developed sales, negotiation, and communication skills.
- A deep understanding of the ways that new digital technology is transforming the media and the need for a vibrant public service journalism community.
- Experience creating, implementing and leading fundraising strategies.
- Ability to create and cultivate deep partnerships.
- Experience creating new online revenue streams for digital and new media ventures.
- Experience developing educational programs both in person and online.
- Experience utilizing social media as a way to reach and connect a target audience.
- Public speaking experience.
- Ability to build high-performing teams, a commitment to diversity, and a track record of high integrity.
- Experience working with and establishing a strong line of communication and trust with a Board of Directors, providing strategic, financial, and operational performance updates.
- Proven success creating and maintaining long-term success for a brand.
EDUCATION: An undergraduate degree is required.
COMPENSATION: The selected candidate will receive an attractive compensation package, which will be commensurate with experience.
TO APPLY: Please email under the subject heading “INN CEO Search” your cover letter, resume and other materials to Bernard Consulting at email@example.com
The Institute for Nonprofit News is an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to a fair and diverse workplace.
DEADLINE: May 16, 2015