Across the United States, nonprofit newsrooms are forming to provide trusted information to thousands of communities. The Institute for Nonprofit News (INN) is a network of these newsrooms and an advocate for investigative and other independent, public service journalism.
INN is seeking a Communications & Advocacy Manager who will lead strategic communications and advocacy advancing the work of INN, its members and the growing sector of nonprofit news and produce INN’s daily and ongoing communications. This is an outstanding career opportunity for someone with a passion for news, exemplary writing and editing skills and advocacy communications experience.
What we’re about:
The Institute for Nonprofit News is a network of more than 150 nonprofit news media, founded by journalists and community leaders across the country to bring better news coverage and information to thousands of diverse communities. INN is a membership organization that incubates news startups, provides training and services to public service newsrooms and functions as an innovation network helping members develop new ways to support quality journalism, engage people and serve their communities. INN’s work helps newsrooms bring investigative and civic news to more people, hold the powerful accountable and build participation in public life. More information can be found at https://inn.org.
This is a hands-on communications position combining planning, writing and editing — with some elements of air traffic controller in coordinating coverage produced by staff and partners.
The Communications & Advocacy Manager will set the editorial strategy, create, coordinate and deliver materials including training materials, fact sheets and tip sheets, social media and blog posts, newsletters, news releases, video, podcasts and presentations. This work serves four audiences: INN member editors and publishers, supporters of the nonprofit news movement, the broader journalism community and the general public.
As communications manager you’ll:
- Run INN’s editorial calendar
- Manage and post content to INN’s WordPress sites, INN.org, LEARN.INN.org and LABS.INN.org, plus a YouTube channel
- Supervise social media channels and outreach; deliver and coordinate daily content via Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, email
- Produce weekly email newsletters including and monthly updates to funders, members and the board, annual and quarterly reports
- Develop and pitch fresh stories and campaign ideas and transform them into marketing communications campaigns
- Create, assign and deliver case studies, member profiles, white papers, newsletter content, social media content, and speaking proposals; annual and quarterly reports
- Create & edit digital and multimedia pieces, including video, photo, and web content
Market INN training, services and products, including social media advertising and use of Google Adwords credits.
In this role you’ll also manage audience and impact tracking and benchmarking, expand and maintain INN’s Mailchimp lists, manage an annual communications budget and work with freelance contributors and editors.
Here are some desired skills and attributes for the position (we understand you might not meet all of these but if this roughly sounds like you, we’d love to hear from you). You bring the ability to:
- Tell stories to build support and change
- Apply outstanding news judgment and clean, clear compelling writing
- Drive social media engagement on a strategic and daily basis
- Translate strategic communications goals into an editorial calendar and communications plan and execute to plan
- Apply excellent project management skills. You are good at meeting deadlines in a fast-moving environment, prioritizing and balancing multiple projects simultaneously, and continually communicating priorities across a distributed group
- Grow audiences and distribution lists and measure the impact of marketing campaigns and ongoing communications
- Package and promote stories for varied audiences
- Manage contract writers and editors and budgeting
- Manage publishing and research partnerships with academic and other organizations
- Apply journalism experience and understanding of journalism ethics and standards
You bring practicing knowledge of common social media, WordPress content management (CMS) and tools, and the ability to handle or assign video and photo editing. You take ownership of your work, are self-motivated, organized and collaborative. Continual curiosity and a sense of humor make the work fun.
The ideal candidate has a bachelor’s degree in a relevant field and 3-5 years’ marketing experience in an agency or marketing communications. Experience with cause marketing and PR tools, graphic design, email product development and brand management are helpful.
WHAT INN OFFERS:
INN offers a competitive salary and benefits. The position will be based at INN’s Los Angeles headquarters but offers flexibility for the right person who wants to work remotely part of the time. INN is a distributed team. Previous experience working with a remote team would be helpful but we’ll do whatever we can to help and support your transition if this is your first job working with remote teams.
We value diversity, work in the open and do everything we can to give back to the journalism community (Read more about our team values).
INN is an equal opportunity employer and we seek to increase diversity in our own operation and in the news media. We encourage applications from communities traditionally underrepresented in this field.
Candidates, please send a resume and portfolio to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line INN Communications, by April 15, 2018.
Portfolio requirements: Your portfolio should consist of an executive summary and 5-6 examples of marketing materials you have created, including one web-based item, a press/media release and links to or examples of social media promotions.