The Institute for Nonprofit News is a growing national network of 120 nonprofit news organizations dedicated to providing investigative and public service reporting. INN was founded in 2009 to foster a new collective of newsrooms serving the public interest. Today it functions as an innovation network, helping members develop new ways to support journalism and engage communities, providing business, technology and leadership support and a framework for collaboration. INN’s work helps newsrooms bring investigative and civic news to more people, hold the powerful accountable and build democratic participation. More information can be found at https://inn.org.
POSITION: Operations Manager
INN is seeking a finance and operations professional with experience in nonprofit administration to manage daily administration. The operations manager has an opportunity to design and implement systems and processes as well as manage them so that this growing network can serve more members and expand programs. We’re seeking a self-directed person with strong business administration skills who enjoys working in a small team environment and dynamic field. This position reports to the CEO/Executive Director. Specifics include:
Membership: Helps design and implement CRM systems for membership and fundraising and works with IT director to integrate with other software. Administers a small fiscal sponsorship program for news startups, coordinating with bookkeeper and membership coordinator.
Fundraising: Maintains grants and events/travel calendar and coordinates with fundraising consultants; tracks and alerts director and others to upcoming deadlines. Helps prepare and submit grant reports, track grant budgets and reports. Helps execute major donor campaigns. Serves as liaison to state charity registration service.
Finance and reporting: Manages program budgets, working with INN bookkeeper to ensure program and grant allocations sync with overall financials. Helps executive director develop and update annual budgets and cash flow. Collects information from program staff to update quarterly dashboard and helps prepare reports and presentations. Administers INN’s Dropbox filing system and document protocols, training staff as needed. Manages audit prep, working with INN bookkeeper. Helps tech director with invoicing.
HR: Handles confidential material. Tracks vacation, sick time and payroll, serving as liaison to payroll company and bookkeeper. Tracks staff, board and membership diversity efforts.
Facilities & systems: Manages office, lease and related facilities needs, annual insurance renewals. Shares systems administration with IT lead for all INN operational software and systems, including Stripe, 1password, Mailchimp, Eventbrite.
Programs: Along with membership coordinator, may help set up event facilities, negotiate space and lodging agreements for events and training. Helps set up back office services for members. Joins all INN staffers in fielding member calls and needs and supporting the community.
- Super-organized systems person, loves being the one who makes everything work and managing functions and systems that help everyone else stay organized, too.
- Nonprofit experience with an association, fiscal sponsor, or other networks and affiliate groups.
- Works independently and collaboratively. You’re good at managing your own time, creating your own structure and solving problems -- but not shy about hitting Slack, phone, text or email anytime there’s a question. INN staff frequently work remotely, so this job can offer flexibility to a self-directed professional who can mix in-office and remote work.
- Highly accurate and detail-oriented. You take ownership of the records you manage.
- Experience working with CRM systems such as Salesforce
- Experience and comfort working in Quickbooks or similar. You won’t be doing the bookkeeping yourself but should be adapt at working with budgets and other financials.
- Outstanding computer skills including Google documents suite, Dropbox, Microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Salesforce. Basic database skills are a plus.
- High ethical standards and proven experience handling confidential information
- Clear writing and editing skills for business communications
- Basic knowledge of web site tools and social media platforms are beneficial
- Likes helping people, troubleshooting and finding solutions.
- News interest. This isn’t an editorial job, but we support people who are launching news sites and reinventing media. They include some of the most talented, dedicated journalists on the planet, so it’s a great job for someone interested in the future of news.
- Sense of humor
COMPENSATION & CONDITIONS:
INN offers a competitive salary and benefits. The position will be based at INN’s Los Angeles area office but offers flexibility for the right person who wants to work remotely part of the time. Hours are flexible. This ideally will start as a part-time position with the opportunity to grow into full time, but we are interested in hearing from full-time candidates as well.
INN is an equal opportunity employer.
TO APPLY: Send a resume and application letter to email@example.com. No calls, please.