The Institute for Nonprofit News is a growing national network of nearly 120 nonprofit news organizations dedicated to providing investigative and public service reporting. INN was founded in 2009 to foster a new collective of newsrooms serving the public interest. Today it functions as an innovation network, helping members develop new ways to support journalism and engage communities, providing business, technology and leadership support and a framework for collaboration. INN’s work helps newsrooms bring investigative and civic news to more people, hold the powerful accountable and build democratic participation. More information can be found at https://inn.org.
POSITION: Program and Services Director
INN is seeking a program and services director who is excited about the emergence of new journalism models and has experience in digital news strategies and revenue channels. The INN network is a real-time laboratory for distribution and business models, from startups through established newsrooms seeking growth in revenue and impact. The director manages a portfolio of programs and services that help nonprofit news leaders experiment and share successful innovations, build their business acumen, develop healthy revenue streams and reach underserved markets. INN programming also seeks to develop more diverse leadership pipelines into nonprofit news.
Along with providing direct coaching and network support, the director cultivates opportunities and partnerships that strengthen shared services and collaboration and manages INN’s knowledge resources and communications. Specifics include:
Program and project development: Conceptualizes the scope and contours of potential new services. Establishes partnerships, launches, manages and markets a portfolio of member support services. Helps CEO shape related funding proposals.
Consulting/training. Works with CEO and other staff to design, run and promote a robust year-around training program for nonprofit news business, operational and tech leaders, as well as custom consulting. Manages the annual INN Day conference and select events.
Communications. INN serves as a knowledge hub for the industry as well as an advocate for the public interest role of nonprofit newsrooms. The director of programs and services manages INN content as a core resource for members and the journalism community, serving as content webmaster for INN sites. The director manages the organization and content of our business and training resource sites and working with staff, members and outside resources to continually build that knowledge base and the community around it. Works with tech team to provide functional requirements and coordinate programming needs, manages an editorial calendar and coordinates social media and other communications channels across staff, freelancers and affiliates.
Manages challenge and grant programs designed to foster innovation and implementation of successful strategies and build business capacity.
This position is a key contributor to overall organizational planning and strategy as well as general management of INN.
- You’re fascinated by the emergence of new business models to support news reporting and knowledgeable about revenue channels, audience development, community engagement and distribution. The ideal candidate has digital publishing or entrepreneurial journalism experience in a general leadership or business role
- Familiarity with nonprofit operations, social enterprises and fundraising, either directly through public media or through board service or other work
- Project and program management skills. Ability to design, launch and promote programs and projects and manage multiple projects and program budgets in various stages of development. Strong execution as well as planning skills
- You’re a coach and consultant by nature who likes solving problems and is comfortable working with people from a range of roles, experience levels and cultures
- Clear and engaging writing style and the ability to organize resources as well as edit, assign and experiment with new platforms and ways of engaging and learning
- Multimedia orientation. INN members are digital-first, but span digital, video, audio and print distribution and platforms. Many are part of or partner with public media
- You work independently and collaboratively. You’re good at managing your own time, creating your own structure and solving problems -- but not shy about hitting Slack, phone, text or email anytime there’s a question or to share ideas. INN staff work in multiple locations, so we need active communicators
- Adept at using Google documents, Dropbox, Microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Salesforce or similar CRM system. Basic HTML and database skills are pluses
- You have a passion for the news business, a sense of fun
COMPENSATION & CONDITIONS
This is a full-time, exempt position. Compensation and benefits are competitive and based on experience. INN is based in Los Angeles. This position may be based almost anywhere in the United States with good wifi and air travel connections. Periodic travel is required. INN is an equal opportunity employer.
TO APPLY: Send a resume and application letter to email@example.com. No calls, please.