The Institute for Nonprofit News (INN), a network of nearly 120 nonprofit news organizations, has an immediate opening for a Support and Community Lead on our Product and Technology Team.
INN’s mission is to provide education and business support services to our nonprofit member organizations and promote the value and benefit of public-service and investigative journalism. We are the only organization in the U.S. specifically focused on supporting the emerging nonprofit news sector.
Our product and technology team focuses on problems that we are uniquely suited to tackle at a network level, such as:
- Hosting and supporting more than fifty member websites using Largo, an open source WordPress platform/framework we’ve built and maintain.
- Building open source tools to support members’ editorial work, revenue and audience growth with the goal of making their work look as great and have as large of an impact as any of the largest for-profit newsrooms.
- Providing consulting services, training and resources to help members and a select group of consulting clients.
Our work is divided between our own projects advancing the sector and individual consulting and support for members and clients
We value diversity, work in the open and do everything we can to give back to the journalism/tech community (Read more about our team values).
As Support and Community Lead you will, foremost, support and encourage our members and clients to make the best possible use of the tools we build.
This means that you will:
- Be the primary owner of our support process (managing and resolving inbound support requests, writing documentation and organizing training).
- Guide our members and clients to optimal solutions for the editorial and business problems they’re facing. Be their voice in discussions of development priorities and our product roadmap.
- Identify and cultivate new leads for our consulting practice.
- Share our work. Write about what we've learned, represent our team and broaden the circle of people who know about, use and contribute to our projects.
You'll be joining a small but highly-accomplished team as our point person for member/client support. Our team is highly collaborative so you'll have an opportunity to work on a diverse range of projects while continuing to learn and develop new skills.
We are somewhat flexible on exactly how this role will fit in with the rest of the team, based on what you bring to it, but here are some desired skills and attributes for the position (we understand you might not meet all of these but if this roughly sounds like you, we'd love to hear from you):
- Experience with direct client interaction and front-line support.
- Strong (bordering on meticulous) attention to detail. Highly organized self-starter able to develop project plans and work to implement them with limited oversight and supervision.
- A positive attitude and willingness to meet people where they are; Experience explaining technical concepts to non-technical users.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Previous experience writing documentation (some technical writing experience and familiarity with developer documentation would be helpful).
- Experience interfacing between clients/customers and developers to translate business goals into technical requirements; Ability to plan projects, estimate time/cost and work independently or with developers to complete tasks with minimal oversight.
- Ability to identify process improvements, carry them out and track progress.
- Familiarity with help desk, knowledgebase and project management tools and workflows (we use FreshDesk, Harvest, Asana and GitHub, mostly).
While much of this role might be classified as customer support, community building and project management, we also need this person so be able to jump in, fully own the resolution of support requests and perform some technical tasks.
To be successful in this role, the ideal candidate should have (or be willing to quickly learn/develop):
- Some front-end design/development skills (mostly HTML/CSS).
- Experience working with WordPress (ideally, an intermediate/expert user of the WordPress admin interface and some experience working with WordPress theme development).
- Familiarity with principles of user-centered design, ideally in a news/media/nonprofit environment.
- Familiarity with version control tools (we use git).
We would prefer that this be a full-time permanent position but we are also open to contract and temporary arrangements depending on the candidate. Our compensation package and benefits are extremely competitive and commensurate with experience. We are also committed to giving our employees the tools they need to do their job and supporting their professional growth so you'll get a generous allowance for hardware, software and travel to conferences to develop your skills.
We are a distributed team and this is a remote position. Previous experience working remotely would be helpful but we'll do whatever we can to help and support your transition if this is your first remote job.
INN is an equal opportunity employer and we are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive workplace. Persons of color, women and members of other under-represented groups in journalism, media and technology are strongly encouraged to apply. In addition to federal law requirements, INN complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.
- Brief resume/portfolio
- Cover letter (an email is fine) explaining why you're excited about working with us
- A brief description of a few projects you're particularly proud of and the role you played in each of them (include links if possible)