Most INN members started news organization because of their passion for investigative and public service journalism, yet to sustain the organization, they’ve had to expand their business acumen. This juggling act can be challenging. That’s where we can help.
Bring your strategy and business questions, ideas and challenges to the weekly ZOOM video chat sessions held Wednesdays 3-4 pm EST.
Who could benefit from these chat sessions?
- Are crafting a business model and need some guidance.
- Want to develop a business plan, but aren’t sure where to start or how to approach the task.
- Are wrestling with how to prioritize various audience, revenue and distribution models for nonprofit news.
- Those facing a strategic shift or crossroads and need help thinking it through.
- Have created a business plan draft and need some objective feedback.
- Have an idea for a new revenue stream, but aren’t sure how to go from idea to execution.
- Are diversifying into advertising/underwriting revenue and need assistance with a sales strategy and implementation plans.
- Need help building financial projections.
- Want to better understand the story your financials are telling you.
Other business or strategic concerns are welcome. For most situations, 20 minutes will be just enough time to explain the issue or concern. Not to worry, we can schedule additional time. Major projects might incur custom consulting fees, but Office Hours and short-term consultations are free for INN members and all consulting is subsidized thanks to the generous support of the Democracy Fund, Ethics & Excellence in Journalism Foundation, Open Society Foundations, Knight Foundation and MacArthur Foundation.
Please sign up for a 20-minute slot here:
ZOOM MEETING INSTRUCTIONS:
Join from PC, Mac, Linux, iOS or Android: https://zoom.us/j/145827907
Dial: +1 646 558 8656 (US Toll) or +1 408 638 0968 (US Toll)
Meeting ID: 339 488 491
Your INN Box leader and business coach: Fran Scarlett brings a Harvard MBA and 20 years of experience in news media, business development and business coaching to INN members. Like many members, Fran started her career in media as a reporter. She eventually moved into news product and revenue development. Prior to INN, she spent seven years coaching entrepreneurs on how to set their strategy, identify business models, find new revenue streams and support their mission. But we all know: the news business never lets anyone go and Fran decided to return to news and INN’s mission of supporting nonprofit news organizations.
On media and distribution strategy: Sue Cross brings 30 years of experience in media syndication, distribution and licensing. As SVP for business development and partnerships at the global nonprofit news cooperative Associated Press, she worked with digital pure plays, broadcast and newspaper companies to explore new business models. In addition to leading INN, she also advances social enterprise development as a board member of the Social Enterprise Alliance Los Angeles chapter. She’ll help Fran work with you on media-specific strategies.