These terms are in keeping with INN’s Value Statement, which reads, in part:
“We value and support our colleagues and our network. We believe in a culture of collaboration, camaraderie, information sharing and mutual respect with our colleagues and members. We commit to communicating clearly and thoughtfully, to listening with care, and to always work toward our shared goal of an inclusive workplace and network that promotes great journalism and positive work environments for all people.”
To join INN’s listservs, send a note to email@example.com.
Use of the main INN listserv
INN’s main listserv, hosted by the University of Missouri, is open to all INN members. We expect to phase out this listserv in mid-2021 to move to a platform hosted by Groups.io. Until then, this remains the main INN listserv.
- To post to the listserv, send your message by email to INNED-L@lists.reporter.org.
- When you receive a message from the listserv, the email subject starts with [INNED-L].
- Messages sent to the Listserv can also be found here. (Users must create a login to access the site, then search for INNED-L to access the archive.)
Use of peer community subgroups
INN has established several peer communities that are using subgroup listservs on the Groups.io platform. To join these peer communities, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, specifying which group you wish to join. As of April 2021, the following listservs exist for these peer communities:
- Statehouse - a group discussing coverage of state governments
- Dos Mundos - a group focused on bilingual/Spanish-language/Latino coverage
- Midwest - for members interested in building collaborations with Midwest members
These terms are not exhaustive or complete. They serve to distill our common understanding of a collaborative, shared environment and common goals.
Guidelines for Use of INN listservs
This is a community for support. Kindly remember to be respectful toward fellow members and INN staff.
- Users agree to reserve list discussions for topics that help other members improve their journalism, address ethical issues in news or grow revenue and audiences to expand their impact. That might include, but is not limited to: soliciting the advice of peers; learning from their experiences; sharing resources and opportunities, and participating in the ongoing dialogue.
- Discussions are meant to stimulate respectful and productive conversation. Communications involving insults, attacks, derogatory comments or other disparaging behavior may lead INN to suspend or close a users’ access to the listserv.
- If participants wish to disagree or challenge statements made on the list, they should do so without demeaning or directing hostility at the original poster.
- As in all professional settings, please, avoid inappropriate political, religious, and sexual references.
- Users should not harvest email addresses from the listservs for purposes outside the service of INN.
- Commercial messages, including solicitations for money, goods or services for charitable purposes or private gain are not allowed, nor are postings relating to actual or potential unlawful or unethical practices, or are false, misleading or fraudulent.
- The listservs should not be used to promote advocacy efforts other than First Amendment or freedom of the press issues.
- Communications originating from the listserv are for subscribers and INN members. They should not be shared outside of the listservs or INN without the prior written permission of the original author.
- Be considerate of your colleagues’ inboxes by using the mailing list for messages relevant to fellow INN members. If a discussion develops into an exchange between two parties, the conversation should move to direct communications between them.
- Send messages such as "thanks for the information" or "me, too" to an individual’s email address by forwarding the message to them.
- To unsubscribe from the list, follow the directions at the bottom of the Listserv email message. Administrative messages, such as "remove me from the list,” should not be sent through the Listserv.
INN does not screen or pre-review posted content. Complaints about content may be directed to INN at email@example.com.
Moderators: You can reach the list moderator by email:
Michelle Morgante, INN member network director, firstname.lastname@example.org
Last update: April 2021