INN membership dues cover everyone in your organization and are scaled to the size of your organization based on its total annual revenue. You’ll find dues charts below for both regular and associate members.
Renewals are due by July 31 each year. Ready to renew? Pay Now.
Not an INN member? Apply here.
Regular Member Dues
For regularly publishing nonprofit news organizations that qualify for full membership:
Annual revenue, all sources INN annual dues
- Less than $50,000 — $ 50
- $50,000-$249,999 — $150
- $250,000-$499,999 — $250
- $500,000 and up — $350
Calculating Total Annual Revenue
It’s simple: This is the number you report on IRS Form 990, Part VIII Statement of Revenue, Column A Total Revenue. Or, if you are fiscally sponsored, your sponsor can give you your total program income from all sources.
- Calendar-year budget: your 2018 dues are based on 2017 total revenue
- Fiscal year budget, your dues are based on the FY17-18 year ending June 30; please use your projected 990 total revenue for your FY17-18 fiscal year.
INN dues are based on the membership year Aug. 1 - July 31.
- Membership renewal payments are due every year on July 31 to continue membership with the Institute.
- Any organization that fails to pay its annual dues by Sept. 1 is considered “out of good standing” and is ineligible for INN member discounts, training, grants and travel scholarships until full membership is restored.
- New members pay full year dues if they join INN between July 31 and Jan 1.
- Members joining between Jan. 1 and April 1 pay pro-rated half-year dues and renew in full the following July.
- Members joining after April 1 pay the full amount for the coming August-July year and are not charged again until the following year.
Here’s a handy table for calculating that:
|Organization's Annual Revenue||Annual Dues: Renewed or Joined 4/1-12/31||Annual Dues: Renewed or Joined 1/1-4/1|
|Less than $50,000||$50||$25|
|$500,000 and up||$350||$175|