CAMPAIGN FINANCE INFORMATION
Gain access via the National Institute on Money in Politics to unique, comprehensive and verified campaign-finance information from the Federal Election Commission, 50 state agencies and select local jurisdictions. Get personal assistance and training on how to use the tools at FollowTheMoney.org, where the institute archives its database of campaign contributions totaling more than $100 billion and more than 2 million state lobbyist-client relationships that are registered annually. In addition to federal campaign spending data, the site has campaign spending reports for 31 states, and lobbying spending in 20 states.
- Search, sort, analyze and download datasets that punctuate excellent investigative and accountability reporting
- Track legislation through the lawmaking process via the MyLegislature tool, which groups lawmakers by their committee assignments, shows legislation they've sponsored, shows the path of their legislation, and shows which donors have given to the sponsors, committees and the legislature as a whole
- Use advanced "similarity" programming to see which donors have similar donating trends, and which candidates received donations from the same donors, which can highlight attempts to influence laws
About: The nonpartisan, nonprofit National Institute on Money in Politics, incorporated in 1999, promotes an accountable democracy by compiling comprehensive campaign-donor, lobbyist, and other information from government disclosure agencies nationwide and making it freely available at FollowTheMoney.org.
Rate: Free for INN members
Access the raw data behind ProPublica's reporting as a resource for other INN members doing the challenging, expensive work of investigative reporting.
- Datasets about health, criminal justice, education, politics, business, transportation, military, environment and more
About: ProPublica Data Store is an ever-expanding clearinghouse for the data used in ProPublica reporting.
Rate: Free. ProPublica also provides premium data products and custom data services.
INFOGRAPHIC & DATA VISUALIZATION SERVICES
Quickly create charts, infographics and engaging data visualizations with no coding or design skills needed with Infogram. These infographics can be used internally or instantly published online and can adapt to any screen size. View the examples here. View examples of the enterprise version as used by INN members CALmatters and Better Government Association.
- (Free Version) Ability to create infographics, charts, dashboards, reports, and other visualizations to publish on the web without having to use or pay for freelance design help
- (Enterprise Version) Customized branding with your newsroom's own fonts, colors, icons with options to add objects such as custom maps; create team libraries; bigger library space over the free version; HTML download option; priority support in tickets and chat
About: Infogram was built with the goal of increasing data literacy, giving anyone — and especially the fast-paced media sector — the power to visualize and share data in minutes.
Infogram was founded in 2012 by Uldis Leiterts, Raimonds Kaze (both journalists) and Alise Semjonova (a designer). Currently, Infogram has more than 4 million users and companies, including INN members and brands such as Techcrunch, Politico, UNICEF, LinkedIn and Unilever.
Rate: Free. INN members can upgrade to a Team account with their own branding at a 30% discounted rate.
*Business Team account from three to 10 user licenses for INN members costs US $1,251.60/year to US $2,368.80/year
*Enterprise level starting from 10 user licenses for INN members costs US $4,057.20/year with option to add extra seats for US $159.60/license
Nonmembers can unlock an extra referral discount — 10% off for a for-profit organization and up to 25%, depending on team size, for nonprofits.
Access Data Visualization Services
VIDEO AND ANIMATION SERVICES
Coda Studio, the production arm of award-winning nonprofit newsroom Coda Story, offers a service that can help your newsroom create video content based on reporting.
- Video content creation
- Production and creation of engaging animations and other easy-to-digest visualizations
- Storytelling consultancy and storyboarding
- Working with newsrooms to turn the text piece into the video and then the final product
About: Coda Studio currently works with the BBC, World Policy Journal, ProPublica and other media clients.
Rate: Up to 50% off per minute of animation (normally $3,000 per minute) depending on complexity and requirements.