Auricle Productions seeks a full-time development director with a passion for audio storytelling and the vision and skills to take our organization to the next level.
We’re a nonprofit journalism organization. We produce Threshold, a podcast that tackles one pressing environmental issue each season. The show has won multiple awards and attracted the support of leading organizations in our field. We’ve proven our concept—now we’re ready to grow. Your fundraising expertise is key in that process.
This position has a flexible schedule. We will collaborate with an ideal candidate to structure this position in a way that maximizes productivity and work-life balance.
Our team works remotely. Candidates from all locations are welcome to apply.
We are committed to building empathy in our storytelling, and doing that effectively requires a wide range of perspectives. People of color, LGBTQ+ people, people with disabilities, and members of other historically disenfranchised groups are strongly encouraged to apply.
WHO WE’RE LOOKING FOR
A proven development pro who can make and execute a smart, successful fundraising strategy for a growing nonprofit. Reporting to and in partnership with the executive director, the development director creates and implements a fundraising plan, including major gifts, grant research and writing, our annual community giving campaign, and donor database management. With input and collaboration from the board and the whole Threshold team, you’ll lead the process of mapping out our fundraising future, and make that plan happen.
Areas of responsibility include:
- Develop and execute the fundraising branch of our strategic plan
- Test new models of fundraising for digital media products
- Identify prospective individual and corporate donors and develop strategies to cultivate those relationships
- Maintain ongoing communications with donors
- Provide background research and talking points for funder and donor meeting preparation
- Cultivate engagement and buy-in on fundraising work with staff, board and donor community
- Manage grants from start to finish, including grant research, writing, budget development, application submission, and follow-up processes
- Lead our gratitude strategy, including required grant reporting
- Collaborate with staff on the management and planning of fundraising events
- Collaborate with outreach team on the creation of print and digital collateral materials
WE URGE YOU TO APPLY IF THIS MOSTLY DESCRIBES YOU
Strategic thinker: You can analyze complex situations and determine what needs to be done and how.
Operational excellence: You’re able to execute a plan and get things done. You have experience leading complex projects with multiple work streams and tight deadlines, and you hold your work to a high standard of quality.
Communicator: You’re a thoughtful and perceptive listener, and you articulate your ideas with nuance in written, verbal, and in-person communications. You are confident and thoughtful in discussing and handling financial matters.
Innovator: You’re a highly motivated self-starter who is excited by the challenge of designing new pathways to success. You persevere in the face of challenges and influence others with your enthusiasm and ideas.
Collaborator: You value the input of others and believe strong teams are essential for success. You share credit generously, and you’re able to both give and receive support.
Generalist: Your skills don’t fit neatly into any one box—you can both analyze and synthesize; you can develop a spreadsheet and write a compelling appeal letter. You’re able to see the big picture as well as tend to the details.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- 5-7 years of experience and proven success in grant writing and major gift fundraising
- Experience in leading fundraising strategy for a young organization in an ambitious growth phase
- Desire and ability to cultivate strong relationships with donors and prospects
- Excellent organizational and time management skills, including proven ability to effectively manage multiple priorities and deadlines
- Excellent written and interpersonal communication skills
- CRM database experience is a big plus
- Exceptional strategic thinking and a results-driven approach
- A passion for journalism and the ability to articulate why our unique style of storytelling matters to a wide variety of audiences
- Working knowledge of the journalism and podcasting landscape preferred; however, if you don’t have that knowledge, tell us how you plan to acquire it
- Humility and humor
$52k – $64k per year
Health insurance reimbursement
HOW TO APPLY
We strongly encourage you to listen to at least one episode of each of our three seasons before applying. We are a mission-driven organization, and it’s crucial that our ethos and style align with your own.
In your cover letter, tell us five key words that you think evoke something important about what Threshold is and why it matters. What do those words tell you about the kind of strategy you might create?
Please send your resume and cover letter to caysi [at] thresholdpodcast.org
Deadline to apply: Feb 15, 2021
To apply for this job please visit www.thresholdpodcast.org.