Our nonprofit journalism organization is hiring a creative, analytically driven, editorially minded leader to spearhead our efforts to market our brand to consumers, own the p&l for our consumer revenue/membership efforts, and drive all audience-related functions across our sites’ news platforms, currently Berkeleyside and an Oakland site launching this spring. This includes overseeing our marketing, membership program,, social media, newsletters, search and audience insights. The Director, Marketing and Audience will serve as a day-to-day partner to editors and other revenue leaders, continuously pushing the organization to develop deeper relationships with a growing audience. You will develop innovative, actionable and efficient digital marketing and audience development campaigns that build awareness, drive traffic, deepen engagement, and increase membership revenue. The job is based in Oakland and Berkeley.
You’ll be joining us at an exciting time in our development. After 10 years building Berkeleyside into a widely recognized, nationally lauded local news site, we are launching an ambitious, yet-to-be-named mission-driven organization that will embrace Berkeleyside and new city newsrooms. We have core funding from the American Journalism Project and Google News Initiative. Our first new launch will be in Oakland this spring.
What you’ll do
- Own the p&l for membership revenue, including designing and implementing a strategy for growing this revenue source
- Lead marketing efforts to build consumer awareness and trial of our brand and editorial properties
- Develop and execute strategies to deepen consumer engagement with our brand and editorial properties
- Partner with editorial leaders to develop programming and distribution strategies for all social platforms, including Instagram, Facebook and Twitter
- Develop and maintain transparent, visible and useful audience reach and engagement dashboards
- Identify actionable performance insights and metrics and deliver them to other members of leadership and to the board
- Develop culture and processes for discovery, testing and growing new audiences using best-in-class data and platforms
- Work with the editors to train the newsrooms in best practices for social, search, email and other audience development tactics and to build a supportive, engaged loyal community on our own platforms, social platforms, and other platforms
- Develop creative promotional campaigns for our newsletters, major enterprise journalism projects, news stories, membership drives and events
- As part of the leadership team of our company, help build our overall business by partnering with other members of our leadership team, and in collaboration with our board
- Report to the Editorial Director
What you’ll need to succeed
- 5+ years of experience in digital marketing or audience development
- You’ll have a deep understanding of the methods of attracting and acquiring new audiences and deepening engagement with them — including social, search, email, third-party and our own live events.
- You’ll have developed a track record of growing audiences, have experience in optimizing and managing email newsletters, have a creative approach to promotion, and be committed to making data-driven decisions using a process of constant testing and iteration.
- Demonstrated fluency and creativity using social media and other tools to reach audiences
- Commitment to data-driven decisions and a test-and-learn mentality
We’re especially interested in candidates who
- Have a track record of building brands and audiences for new consumer-driven companies
- Ability to juggle strategic thinking and hands-on tactical work
- Proficiency with analytics tools, such as Google Analytics
- Excellent communication skills
- A love of local news
How we’ll support you
- Top-notch in-house mentorship and a transparent internal review and feedback process
- $1,000 in support for conferences and training
We offer a competitive salary, health plan, four weeks of paid leave and a 401(k) match.
We’re committed to building an inclusive newsroom that represents the people and communities we serve. We especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply for this position, including women, people of color, LGBTQ people and people with disabilities.