We’re building an extraordinary organization that pioneers new forms of civic journalism and offers hope and optimism for the future of local news. To make that happen, we’re looking for an enterprising Vice President, Development to build and lead from scratch a development program for the organization capable of generating millions in philanthropic support through major gifts and foundations, both regionally and nationally. The job is based in Oakland.
You’ll be joining us at an exciting time in our development. After 10 years building Berkeleyside into a widely recognized, nationally lauded local news site, we are launching an ambitious, yet-to-be-named mission-driven organization that will embrace Berkeleyside and new city newsrooms. We have core funding from the American Journalism Project and Google News Initiative. Our first new launch will be in Oakland this spring.
What you’ll do
- Manage a comprehensive, strategic, donor-centered fundraising program that includes specific fundraising goals and targets
- Build and execute our foundation funding strategy. Maintain and expand a portfolio of additional foundation/grant prospects and drive the submission of all grant requests, including overseeing contract grant writers
- Develop and implement a development plan to further expand the major gifts portfolio, including by engaging and retaining new donors
- Develop goals, strategies, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship plans for each donor, ensuring that each one receives frequent personalized contact
- Draft donor correspondence and maintain primary responsibility for developing messages, strategy memos, talking points and donor materials
- Implement a communications plan, including development of messages, materials and explanations of our work used in strategic donor communications, annual reports, newsletters, and other communications that advance our mission and visibility
- Oversee development and execution of fundraising campaigns
- Create and staff gatherings for donors and foundations
- Build and maintain a donor management database to ensure professional data management
- As part of the leadership team you will help build our overall business by partnering with other members of our leadership team and collaborating with our board
- Report to the CEO
What you’ll need to succeed
- Demonstrated success in working with Bay Area major donors to serve their philanthropic objectives
- Relationships with California-based foundations and a track record of successfully building new programs with them
- Ability to effectively communicate the importance of local news to a thriving democracy, and its role in supporting a variety of topical interests such as education, health and homelessness
- Knowledge of needed systems, tools, and infrastructure necessary to build a modern development organization
- An engaging presence and ability to represent the organization in both 1:1 and public settings
We’re especially interested in candidates who
- Have demonstrated experience in early-stage nonprofits and have built a successful development program from scratch
- Have worked in, or have a passion for, journalism
- Are personally grounded in underserved communities represented in the Bay Area
How we’ll support you
- Top-notch in-house mentorship and a transparent internal review and feedback process
- $1,000 in support for conferences and training
We offer a competitive salary, a health plan, four weeks of paid leave and a 401(k) match.
We’re committed to building an inclusive newsroom that represents the people and communities we serve. We especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply for this position, including women, people of color, LGBTQ people and people with disabilities.