Manager: Executive Director
Status: Full-time Exempt Employee (40 hrs/week)
Location: Chicago with hybrid remote and in-person work
Compensation: $60,000, plus benefits
Approximate Start Date: July 1, 2021
Borderless Magazine’s Mission: Borderless Magazine NFP is a nonprofit news outlet that is reimagining immigration journalism for a more just and equitable future. We report stories, train emerging journalists from immigrant communities and train professional journalists in how to better serve immigrant audiences. Sign up for our newsletter and read our 2020 Impact Report for examples of our work.
Do you believe in the power of immigrant voices? We do.
Borderless Magazine NFP is seeking a gifted and energetic Director of Development and Audience Growth to help make our work reporting on and with immigrants sustainable for years to come.
This is an extraordinary opportunity to work in a creative environment at a growing nonprofit news outlet. You’ll be part of a diverse team that is committed to immigrant rights issues and justice.
As the Director of Development and Audience Growth, you will be the frontline fundraiser responsible for applying and managing grants, running our new membership program, and cultivating major gifts. You will also be responsible for setting strategies to grow our audience and monitor audience growth on our website and newsletter.
We especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including immigrants, women, people of color, LGBTQ people and people with disabilities.
If you have some of the skills listed below, please apply!
Duties and Responsibilities
– Develop comprehensive fundraising and audience growth plans and objectives in conjunction with the Executive Director, – Art Director and board with targeted goals, quantifiable outcomes, and timelines
– Overseeing our analytics, including gathering and reporting of insights from across platforms to inform daily and strategic decisions
– Work closely with the newsroom to ensure maximum visibility for our journalism in the places where it can make an impact. Collaborate with newsroom editors and reporters to analyze what content reached which audiences; establish best practices in the newsroom for audience cultivation and engagement.
– Write and manage grants, including Letters of Intent (LOIs), proposals and reports
– Plan, supervise, and grow Borderless eMagazine’s new donor membership program
– Cultivate major gifts and planned giving, including identification of prospects, solicitation and stewardship of donors
– Create unified messaging for fundraising campaigns
– Foster a healthy and collaborative fundraising culture across the organization
– Work with the Board of Directors to review, monitor and assess fundraising programs, and identify meaningful ways for – – Board members to participate in revenue-generating activities
Essential Skills and Experience
– A strong passion for immigration issues
– Commitment to equity and justice for all, regardless of immigration status
– Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
– Familiarity with Salesforce and Google Analytics
– Excellent written and verbal skills
Desired Skills and Experience
– Minimum five years proven and measurable experience in developing and implementing a wide variety of fundraising and/or audience growth programs for nonprofit organization or newsroom
– Major gifts solicitation experience
– Corporate sponsorship solicitation experience
Benefits: The director will receive a $5,000 health care stipend, 15 days of vacation, 10 days of sick/mental wellness days, and 12 paid holidays. Borderless offers six weeks paid family leave plus additional subsidized leave available through short-term disability insurance.
Borderless Magazine Culture: We are a small team with two full-time employees and two part-time employees. We are a woman and BIPOC-run nonprofit that is anti-racist. We believe in work-life balance, respect, and boundaries. The director will not be expected to work weekends or evenings except for the occasional event.
How to Apply: Interested candidates should send a resume and letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org by 11:59pm CST on June 15, 2021. Letters should answer the questions:
– Why are you interested in this position?
– What connection do you have to the issues of immigration and/or journalism?
– If hired, what would you bring to this position?
Have questions about the position? Send them to email@example.com.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org