CALmatters is a nonpartisan, nonprofit, public-interest news organization that provides insightful and thought-provoking journalism about the major issues facing Californians, including education, environment, economy, health and human welfare.
In two years, we’ve gone from startup to the largest media organization focused on California state politics and policy. But we’re not done. Our stories are distributed on our own channels (CALmatters.org, as well as email newsletters, social channels, and news apps) and through more than 100 print, broadcast and digital media partners throughout the state. Our reach has grown, but our ambition is to reach as many civically engaged people in the state as we can to help ensure a more informed electorate. We need you to help us find, attract and cultivate relationships with every Californian who cares about the future of our state. Are you up to the challenge?
- A deep understanding of the methods of attracting new audiences and deepening engagement with them — including social, search, email, third-party and live events.
- A proven track record of using social media to connect with and grow a civically engaged audience, including vertical audience segments
- At least 3 years’ experience producing and managing day-to-day social media activities including content development, operations, testing and results monitoring for a news organization
- Experience with best-in-class SEO and SEM practices
- Experience producing best-in-class email newsletters
- Experience using traditional and creative/unorthodox promotional methods
- An ingrained test-and-learn mentality and a track record of making data-driven decisions
- Demonstrated success creating and optimizing organic and paid promotional campaigns on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram
- Excellent, engaging writing
- Ability to juggle big-picture/strategic thinking with hands-on/tactical work. Must have a bias for action.
- Ability to create shareable assets including video and graphics
- Experience and enthusiasm for training colleagues in social media best practices
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Promote brand as a whole and specific pieces of content in every way necessary
- Develop and maintain transparent, visible and useful audience reach and engagement dashboards
- Assist senior leadership in developing guidelines for staff on how to promote their own work, find new audiences and thoughtfully engage with their audiences.
- Help establish a clear and articulated brand voice/tone.
- Train team in best practices for social, search, email and other audience development tactics
- Produce CALmatters member newsletter and other email products
- Develop and execute promotional campaigns for major enterprise journalism projects, weekly news stories, new product launches, organizational updates, membership drives, and events
- Build a supportive, engaged loyal community on our own platforms, social platforms (particularly Facebook), and other platforms Actively engage in conversation with key audiences to test assumptions and gain insights on what public-interest topics they care about
- Build clear pathways for two-way communication between audiences and CALmatters reporters
- Experiment with new resources and tools for engagement on social media to extend the reach of our work (starting with Hearken) and raise visibility of CALmatters as an innovator in the field of journalism
- Elevate visibility of CALmatters executives and journalists as state policy thought leaders
Think you have what it takes? If so, please send your resume or website with links to your work, and tell us about the successes you’ve had growing audience via social media and why you want to work with us. We value diversity and and encourage members of underrepresented communities to apply. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org