CALmatters is a nonpartisan, nonprofit, public-interest news organization that provides insightful and thought-provoking journalism about the major issues facing Californians, including education, environment, economy, health and human welfare.
In two years, we’ve gone from startup to the largest media organization focused on California state politics and policy. But we’re not done. As an early-stage enterprise, we’re heavily reliant on a small number of major donors. Our ambition requires rapid growth of philanthropic sources and to diversify our revenue base from earned sources, including sponsorship and live events. This kind of revenue growth is essential to help ensure a more informed electorate and build a sustainable business for CALmatters.
We are looking for a sharp, ambitious individual to lead the execution of our revenue strategy, specifically from individual and corporate membership, sponsorship, events, and advertising, and to oversee donor stewardship and communications. This is a stellar opportunity for the right person who is looking to play a critical role in a vibrant and growing nonprofit news organization. As a senior leader, you’ll work closely with the Publisher and the Board to build new streams of financial support and establish strong donor communities for CALmatters.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Secure new sources of support and meet annual revenue goals.
- Develop, launch and oversee corporate development efforts including annual membership, sponsorship, and underwriting opportunities.
- Identify and cultivate corporate prospects, ensuring that active and effective strategies are in place.
- Develop and manage donor relations and communications programs, with support from the business services manager.
- Develop and execute promotional campaigns for membership drives and events.
- Provide and implement ongoing ideas and strategies for member retention and growth.
- Produce member newsletters and other donor communications.
- Build collaborative relationships with the board, CALmatters team, donors, and the funding community.
- Represent CALmatters at corporate and donor events.
- Manage the donor database in Salesforce ensuring donor information integrity.
- Passion for nonprofit media, journalism and evolving business models.
- Five years+ experience in leadership level revenue-generating roles in nonprofit or profit-making media, with documented track record in cultivating, soliciting, closing and stewarding individual and corporate gifts, corporate sponsorships or underwriting of editorial products and content.
- Experience developing, planning, leading comprehensive strategy to meet revenue goals.
- Demonstrated experience tracking and reporting on progress to executive team and board of directors.
- Skilled in creating and presenting engaging and compelling written and oral communications for fundraising and corporate pitches.
- Ability to build a supportive, engaged, and loyal donor community and manage an effective donor relations program
- Highly organized, self-motivated, and a strong desire to make a lasting impact.
- Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university, and/or master’s degree a plus.
Think you have what it takes? If so, please send your resume or website with links to your work, and tell us about the successes you’ve had raising money and donor relationship building and why you want to work with us. We value diversity and and encourage members of underrepresented communities to apply. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com