Chalkbeat, the growing nonprofit news organization telling the story of education in America, seeks an email marketing manager to create a best-in-class email experience that helps drive conversion from readers to donors.
Chalkbeat’s email marketing manager will drive key outcomes for both our revenue and editorial teams — growing email subscribers, driving revenue through ongoing online donor campaigns (via our new membership program), and working closely with our editorial team to keep our newsletters relevant and engaging. This position will report to the head of revenue.
Who are you?
You are mission-driven, and understand that the success of Chalkbeat means combining excellent journalism with a strong business model. You know your way around email, and can navigate its many strengths — as a way to build trust, credibility, and engagement, as well as drive donations and revenue. You’re a self-starter who can both see the big picture and jump in to help execute important work. You’re comfortable wearing many hats, moving among reporters, salespeople, and our tech team.
What background and skills do you have?
- 4+ years of work experience, with 2+ years of working on email marketing or newsletters
- Bonus if you have experience working on donor email campaigns at a nonprofit or on newsletters at a news outlet (or both!)
- Proven track record of growing an email subscriber base
- Proven track record of email-based conversion (either donations or e-commerce sales)
- Experience utilizing the full capabilities of an email service provider
- Comfort with segmentation and data
- Strong writing and editing skills
- Detail-oriented and able to work autonomously
We know that many strong candidates will not have all the skills we list. That’s OK. What else do you bring to the table? Please tell us!
What will you be responsible for?
- Creating a sustainable and scalable email experience across teams, especially as our reach continues to expand into new locales and topics within the education space.
- Driving our email subscriber growth
- Driving revenue (especially recurring donations) via email
- Managing our new membership program, including internal communication and coordination, customer service, payments processing, etc.
- Leveraging analytics to develop best practices for growth and engagement; campaign analysis
- Collaborate with Revenue, Editorial, Product, and Analytics teams to identify and execute on optimization and growth opportunities
Ideally, you’d be based in one of the cities where Chalkbeat already has a presence: Chicago, Denver, Detroit, Indianapolis, Memphis, New York City, or Washington, D.C. However, working remotely is a possibility for the right candidate.
This is a full-time position with benefits. Chalkbeat offers a competitive salary, commensurate with experience, and a generous benefits package, including a paid winter recess from December 26-31.
Chalkbeat is the nonprofit news organization committed to covering one of America’s most important stories: the effort to improve schools for all children, especially those who have historically lacked access to a quality education. We are mission-driven journalists who believe that an independent local press is vital to ensuring that education improves. Currently in seven locations and growing, we seek to provide deep local coverage of education policy and practice that informs decisions and actions, leading to better schools. Read more about our mission and values.
How to Apply
Please send a PDF of your resume and a cover letter explaining your interest in the position and where you heard about it to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include “Email Marketing Manager” in the subject line. Chalkbeat is dedicated to equal employment opportunities for all applicants and employees. Chalkbeat encourages people of all races, colors, national origins, ancestries, creeds, religions, genders, ages, disabilities, veteran statuses, sexual orientations, and marital statuses to apply.
To apply for this job please visit the following URL: https://jobs.chalkbeat.org/jobs/email-marketing-manager/ →