Chalkbeat, the growing nonprofit news organization telling the story of education in America, seeks a Regional Development Director to help us achieve our ambitious fundraising and expansion goals. Working closely with Chalkbeat’s revenue team, the Regional Development Director will oversee the foundation and fundraising relationships in New York, Newark, and other Chalkbeat markets, including our national/network portfolio of funders.
The right candidate will be smart, organized, and entrepreneurial, with a track record of of fundraising strategy and execution success. A passion for journalism and an understanding of its importance to democracy is preferred.
Must also be skilled at communications, grant writing and editing, founder and donor relations, project management, and relationship-building and maintenance.
This position will report to the head of revenue and development.
The key responsibilities for this role include:
- Owning relationships and communications with funders and major donors nationally and in New York, Newark, and up to three other markets.
- Building and cultivating major donors in new and existing markets.
- Serving as the final editor (and sometimes writer) on grant documents.
- Tracking fundraising goals and gap-closing strategy.
- Helping to strategize on fundraising and donor events and programs.
- Working independently as well as collaboratively as part of a close-knit and successful team.
What background and skills do you have?
- Proven ability to raise and close major gifts.
- Grant writing and editing skills.
- Entrepreneurial and strategic thinking skills, with the ability to exercise creativity and initiative in achieving gift goals.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to articulate the vision and mission of the organization.
- Proven project management and task management ability in a deadline-driven environment.
- Ability to work in an environment where multitasking is the norm, the pace is fast, and priorities will evolve.
- Clear and compelling writing.
- Proficiency with office software, primarily the Google Suite.
- Passion for educational equity and the future of journalism is a must.
- Previous development experience at a nonprofit news organization or an education nonprofit is a strong plus, but not required.
- At least five years professional fundraising/development strategic and practical experience is required with demonstrated record of success.
- Bachelor’s degree with significant work experience or a Master’s degree in a related field.
We know that many strong candidates will not have all the skills we list. That’s OK. What else do you bring to the table? Please tell us!
Ideally, you’d be based at our New York City headquarters, conveniently located in Midtown near Penn Station. We’ll also consider a remote working arrangement for the right candidate. Up to 25% travel is required.
This is a full-time position with benefits. Chalkbeat offers a competitive salary, commensurate with experience, and a generous benefits package, including a paid winter recess from December 26-31.
Chalkbeat is the nonprofit news organization committed to covering one of America’s most important stories: the effort to improve schools for all children, especially those who have historically lacked access to a quality education. We are mission-driven journalists who believe that an independent local press is vital to ensuring that education improves. Currently in seven locations and growing, we seek to provide deep local coverage of education policy and practice that informs decisions and actions, leading to better schools. Read more about our mission and values.
How to Apply:
Please send PDFs of your resume and a cover letter explaining your interest in the position and where you heard about it to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include “Regional Development Director” in the subject line. Chalkbeat is dedicated to equal employment opportunities for all applicants and employees. Chalkbeat encourages people of all races, colors, national origins, ancestries, creeds, religions, genders, ages, disabilities, veteran status, sexual orientations and marital statuses to apply.
To apply for this job please visit the following URL: https://jobs.chalkbeat.org/jobs/regional-development-director-network-and-east/ →