Become Chalkbeat’s next Operations Assistant!
Chalkbeat, the nonprofit education news organization, is seeking an Operations Assistant to support our our day-to-day operations and plan for rapid growth.
We’re looking for someone who is excited to grow their skills in nonprofit operations and is willing to work on tasks big and small to further Chalkbeat’s expansion. Our ideal candidate views operations as a positive support to the organization’s mission, and never as a bureaucratic obstacle to serving the needs of our team.
You’ll join a tightly-knit operations team responsible for talent, finance and systems development, and you’ll interact regularly with our editorial, product and development teams as part of our vibrant remote culture. This position will be based in our New York City headquarters.
The key responsibilities for this role include:
Coordinating talent work as we build a larger team and support our existing staff, including:
- Posting jobs and screening applications
- Scheduling interviews and serving as the primary point of contact for candidates throughout the hiring process
- Managing our applicant tracking software (Streak)
- Supporting new employee onboarding
- Maintaining employee records in our human resources software and document management system
- Supporting annual open enrollment and ongoing benefits administration
Providing a wide range of operations support as we serve our current team and expand to new geographies, including:
- Office support for our New York City headquarters, bureaus and remote work spaces
- Logistics support for team and community events
- Supporting the development and rollout of new policies and procedures
- Researching and purchasing of centralized services
- Coordinating shared subscriptions and accounts
- Preparing documentation for our annual audit
Providing smart logistics and executive support for our management team, including:
- Scheduling and coordinating a variety of team meetings
- Researching and booking cost-effective and efficient travel
- Handling expense reporting for Chalkbeat’s management team
What qualifications we’re looking for:
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- At least 1-2 years of relevant work experience (e.g. nonprofit operations, human resources, executive support)
- Great task management skills, problem-solving ability and superior attention to detail
- Experience using discretion when communicating about sensitive topics
- Ability to build trusting relationships with Chalkbeat’s full team, even in a virtual setting
- Flexible and comfortable in a work environment where multitasking is the norm, the pace is fast and priorities will evolve
- Proficient with office software, primarily the Google Suite
Bonus points if you’ve got:
- Curiosity about education or nonprofit journalism, and a connection to our mission
- Experience with the project management tool Asana
- Experience with human resources software and policies
This is a full-time position with benefits. Chalkbeat offers a competitive salary, commensurate with experience, and a generous benefits package, including a paid winter recess.
Chalkbeat is the nonprofit news organization committed to covering one of America’s most important stories: the effort to improve schools for all children, especially those who have historically lacked access to a quality education. We’re in five locations — Colorado, Detroit, Indiana, New York and Tennessee — and growing. Read more about our mission and values.
How to Apply:
Please send PDFs of your resume and a cover letter explaining your interest in the position and where you heard about it to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include “Operations Assistant” in the subject line. Chalkbeat is dedicated to equal employment opportunities for all applicants and employees. Chalkbeat encourages people of all races, colors, national origins, ancestries, creeds, religions, genders, ages, disabilities, veteran status, sexual orientations and marital statuses to apply.