The Institute for Nonprofit News (INN) seeks a Communications Director
INN is seeking a cause communications leader to join our senior management team. With a background in communication and PR, you have a strategic and optimistic outlook and hands-on skills to lift awareness and support of a new kind of news media: independent, nonprofit news.
Our cause is quality journalism. INN and its members make up a fast-growing network of more than 240 independent, nonprofit news media. Together, these newsrooms are expanding public service journalism across North America and finding new models for news. They hold the powerful accountable through some of the strongest investigative reporting in the nation. And they are providing millions of people with unbiased, informed coverage of issues that shape laws and lives, including education, equity, climate change, social justice, health and science, from local communities to global issues.
Role and responsibilities
The Communications Director leads a staff of two and regular contract contributors running public communications campaigns, plus network communications with the INN membership and its partners and funders. Your work will advance four key goals:
- Increasing public and philanthropic awareness of news as a young and fast-growing philanthropic field
- Strengthening the INN network through member communications, partnerships and network strategies
- Expanding knowledge of the sector through an annual portfolio of case studies, the INN Index field study, presentations and partnerships
- Building major gift and grant funding for INN and its nonprofit news members to support growth of this emerging field.
The director selects and works with agencies and other outside resources, manages a Communications budget, sets writing/editing and visual standards for the organization and works closely with program and membership staff. This is a hands-on position producing as well as overseeing day-to-day communications.
- Experience in developing and implementing successful communications strategies in an agency or similar environment
- Proven expertise in running campaigns that build awareness in support of a cause
- Can write, edit and frame accessible multimedia content to the style and standards of national news publications
- Proven ability to build long-term media relationships and quickly seize news opportunities as they arise
- Experience in managing an editorial calendar
- A bachelor’s degree in a relevant field (journalism, media, communications) and at least 5 years’ nonprofit or cause communications experience. Journalism experience is a plus.
- Practicing knowledge of social media strategies and platforms, and content management systems (WordPress a plus) and tools, and the ability to handle or oversee video and photo editing
WHAT INN OFFERS:
This position carries a competitive salary and benefits.
We value diversity, work in the open and do everything we can to give back to the journalism community. INN is an equal opportunity employer and we seek to increase diversity in our own operation and in the news media. We encourage applications from communities traditionally underrepresented in this field.
The position can be remote, or based in our LA office or co-located with other INN staff or key members. INN is a distributed team and previous experience working with a remote team would be helpful.
Candidates, please send a resume and portfolio to email@example.com with the subject line INN Communications. Please include 5-6 examples of communications materials you have created and a short explanation of your role in producing each.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org