EdSource is a non-profit organization that was founded in 1977. It established EdSource Today, its journalism and communications arm, in 2011. It has assembled a diverse staff of reporters and digital talent who comprise the largest team of education reporters on the West Coast. EdSource is considered a “must-read” by key education “influencers” and a broader audience interested in independent reporting and analysis on education issues, ranging from pre-K to postsecondary.
We are looking for a relentless reporter, skilled at source development and imaginative storytelling to distill the complexities of the education reforms being implemented in California and nationally, into easily understood narratives that initiate public discussion and promote accountability. Depending on the level of experience, this could be designated a senior reporting position.
Optimally, the candidate will have:
· 5+ years of professional media experience, preferably working with a daily journalism publication.
· The ability to cultivate a diverse range of sources, and produce clean, concise copy.
· Proficiency with the use of public records and databases.
An ability to clarify education jargon, while illuminating complex issues.
· A rigorous commitment to fairness and accuracy.
Effective time management skills to meet deadlines and produce an acceptable volume of work.
· Experience covering education and children’s issues preferred, although not required.
· An active social media presence.
Preferred skills include:
· Fluency in Spanish.
· Comfort level working with data.
· Radio and podcasting experience, or a desire to learn.
· A background in investigative reporting.
Equal Opportunity Employer
EdSource Inc., is a proud equal opportunity employer committed to diverse workforce that reflects our audience and expands our voice.
In addition to joining a collegial and collaborative editorial team, EdSource offers a competitive salary, a comprehensive benefits package that includes a range of medical plans, a 403(B) savings plan, a pre-tax transportation payment program, generous vacation leave time and 11 paid holidays a year.
Send a resume, cover letter, names and contact information of three professional references, links to your social media accounts and links (or attachments) to 4-6 examples of your written/digital work to Lanita Pace-Hinton, deputy director, at: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include job title, Education Writer, in subject line.
Applications will be reviewed as they are received, but no later than July 28.