Please check the employer’s website before applying.
This data and records-driven reporter provides thoughtful, in-depth coverage of local health trends and issues, with a focus on helping medical consumers make informed decisions about their own health. Health plays a huge impact on the area’s quality of life and issues related to funding, equity and access. In all of our reporting, we seek to amplify the voices of Fort Worth and Tarrant County residents. Strong digital and social media skills required.
This position will report to the Managing Editor and the CEO/publisher in working with reporters and other news staff to produce world-class journalism with the goal of expanding our relevance, impact and reach.
The health reporter is a problem-solver with excellent writing and editing skills and a nose for news. The person loves the mix of local reporting we aspire to do at the Fort Worth Report, as outlined in our reader research.
All Fort Worth Report journalism initiatives investigate the intersections of people and policy. The Fort Worth Report offers deep coverage of civic issues, local government, education, economic development and culture in an all-digital platform, from our April 12 launch.
This is a full-time position with benefits.
● Value, contribute to and sustain Fort Worth Report’s commitment to a culture of belonging that sees our culture’s history of power and privilege and seeks to balance that with the inclusion of many diverse experiences and perspectives.
● Digital storytelling with clear, concise writing that makes complicated issues accessible and informs our audience why a story is important to them. Must be comfortable with photography, videography, data visualization and related tools. We’re an all-digital platform so our focus is on making our content shine online.
● Cultivate expertise in local health trends and issues to generate ideas for high-impact stories, including meeting with sources, background research, submitting public records requests, and other investigative functions.
● Integrate audience interaction with reporting by working with the editors and other staff members. Specifically, the reporter will promote stories by posting them on her social media and by appearing on KERA, Texas Standard and other outlets that ask about Fort Worth Report’s work. This reporter will also respond to and gather ideas from readers’ comments in person, on the phone and online.
● Represent Fort Worth Report in the community, at community events and at our public events. It is critical that our journalists are deeply embedded in Fort Worth and Tarrant County, always working to promote our mission (what we do and why we do it).
● Schedule flexibility (some evening, weekend and holiday work).
● Good-natured, ambitious and ready to help build a new journalism initiative.
● 3 to 5 years of reporting experience.
● Varied multimedia experience, including video, audio and web storytelling. Photography is a must.
● Excellent communication skills and ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and work under deadline pressure.
● Multiplatform experience, including writing and AP Style, shooting video, taking photos, posting to social media and on content management systems.
● Strong communication and interpersonal skills, with an ability to work cross-functionally with different departments and work styles. Proficiency in a foreign language is a plus but not required.
● Must be comfortable with fast-moving organizational culture. Looks for solutions and new ways to connect with our audience.
● Handle other duties as may be assigned by senior editors.
● Good written/verbal communication skills.
● Driver’s license, reliable transportation and current automobile insurance.
Application deadline is June 18. Apply by email to email@example.com and Managing Editor Thomas Martinez, firstname.lastname@example.org, or submit materials here. Please send a resume, cover letter and work samples.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com