Improving the lives of vulnerable children through journalism.
Position: Communications and Engagement Coordinator, PTE
Company: Fostering Media Connections
Location: Downtown Los Angeles, CA
Compensation: $18-$22 per hour, 25 hours per week
Fostering Media Connections (FMC) is a nonprofit news organization that harnesses the power of journalism and media to improve the lives of vulnerable children, youth and their families.
We report and produce our own coverage, which is published on two distinct platforms: The Chronicle of Social Change, an online news site, and Fostering Families Today, a bi-monthly print magazine.
We then market those stories to mainstream and niche media outlets in an effort to change the overarching child welfare and juvenile justice narratives towards solutions, not simply problems.
Finally, we train youth involved in the child welfare and juvenile justice systems the basics of journalism so they can take a more prominent position in the policy discourse that shapes their lives.
The organization has established regional hubs in Arizona, Michigan, New York, and Wyoming, in addition to its home base in California.
The communications and engagement coordinator position is a part-time role reporting to the vice president. This person will help FMC by identifying and implementing social media strategies based on which stories resonate most with our readers. We want this person to grow our audience and increase our page views via social media and newsletter production.
This is an opportunity for a motivated and people-oriented individual who wants to make a difference in impact-driven journalism by listening to communities and fostering lasting relationships. You should be a self-starter who can see the big picture while working on the details of engaging audiences on social media and growing newsletter subscriptions. You think in headlines, tweets, and subject lines.
- Develop and lead execution of a social media strategy for the entire FMC network
- Manage newsletter distribution; work with editors to revamp newsletter strategy and grow our subscriber base
- Leverage analytics to develop best practices for growth and engagement
- Collaborate with the business and development staff to identify and execute on marketing and growth opportunities
- Track media pickup
- Demonstrated experience in public relations, digital strategies, and/or communications
- Proficient with all social media platforms and Microsoft suite
- Knowledge of distribution software (i.e. MailChimp, Social Pilot), multiple platforms a plus
- Understanding of audience development and target marketing
- Adept and personable in communicating via phone, email and social media around the organization’s mission, vision and messaging
- Bachelor’s degree in public relations, marketing, journalism, communications or related field is preferred but not required.
HOW TO APPLY
If this sounds like a great fit for you, please submit your cover letter, work samples (such as press releases, email or social media campaigns) and resume to email@example.com.