Website Fostering Media Connections / Fostering Families Today
Fostering Media Connections (FMC) is a nonprofit news organization that harnesses the power of journalism and media to improve the lives of vulnerable children, youth and their families. FMC seeks an editorial assistant who is passionate about using language and social media to connect people to resources and information that makes a difference in their lives.
FMC publishes high impact award-winning journalism on two distinct platforms: The Chronicle of Social Change, a news website, and Fostering Families Today, a bi-monthly print magazine. (Download a free PDF of the magazine here.)
Through its Youth Voice program, FMC trains youth involved in the child welfare and juvenile justice systems the basics of journalism so they can take a more prominent position in the policy discourse that shapes their lives.
The editorial assistant will work closely with team members all over the country to support the production of Fostering Families Today magazine (published six times per year) and develop the magazine’s social media presence.
- Write articles for Fostering Families Today that educate, inform and inspire foster, adoptive and kinship families.
- Assist the editor in editorial calendar and story development throughout the year.
- Work with the editor to develop innovative ways to expand Fostering Families Today’s reach through podcasts, social media, websites and other platforms.
- Develop and implement a strategic plan to build out social media with the goal of diversifying educational opportunities for adoptive, foster care and kinship families that supports the mission of Fostering Families Today magazine.
- Moderate existing social media groups.
- Take a lead role in product development, including PDF downloads and ebooks to be distributed online.
- Support business development through research and administrative tasks, as needed.
- Other tasks may include copy editing, layout/design and web design.
- Degree in journalism, communications or related field. (Experience may be substituted for a degree.)
- Strong writing skills.
- Deep understanding of social media and eagerness to learn how to maximize new platforms as they emerge.
- Team player who works well independently but does not hesitate to ask questions or seek clarification.
- Self-motivated individual who can work remotely and is comfortable using platforms including Zoom, Google Meet, G-Suite, Adobe Creative Suite, and social media.
- Copy editing, design and web design skills a plus.
- Familiarity with issues related to adoption and foster care/child welfare a plus.
Position is 20-25 hours per week at $20 per hour. Editorial assistant may be located anywhere in the U.S.
How to Apply
Send your cover letter, two references and two to three professional writing samples to email@example.com. If you have design/layout experience you may also submit samples of your work in that area.