We protect and defend adversarial journalism.
Freedom of the Press Foundation (FPF), a San Francisco and New York-based nonprofit organization dedicated to protecting and defending adversarial journalism, is looking for a full-time Associate Site Reliability Engineer to help us maintain our public-facing websites and internal systems and services.
In this role, you will empower the whole FPF team by participating in the development of a robust continuous deployment pipeline, by performing routine maintenance tasks, and by automating operations work, e.g., through the use of cluster and configuration management tools.
This position is open to junior and entry-level applicants, and we recognize the need to provide on-the-job mentoring and support to help you familiarize yourself with the technology stack we use. In addition to the possibility of working in our New York or San Francisco offices, this position is open to remote work within American time zones.
Skills and Experience
- Familiarity with remote systems administration of bare-metal or virtualized Linux servers
- Comfortable with shell and programming languages commonly used in an SRE context (e.g., Python, Go, Bash, Ruby)
- Strong interest in honing skills required to empower a distributed software development and operations team through automation and systems maintenance
- B.S. or M.S. in Computer Science, or equivalent work experience (e.g., work experience as a software developer or systems administrator)
- Comfortable with open source configuration management and orchestration tools (especially Ansible, Molecule, Terraform)
- Experience building, using and deploying Docker container images
- Experience with monitoring, metrics and logging infrastructure (Icinga/Nagios, Logstash/Kibana, etc.)
Great to have:
- Experience deploying sites and services to cloud computing providers (e.g., AWS, GCE, DigitalOcean)
- Experience with container orchestration using Kubernetes
- Sysadmin certification, e.g., LFCS, RHCSA
- Experience contributing to free/libre and open source software (FLOSS) projects in any capacity
Working with us
If you are passionate about starting your career in the field of Site Reliability Engineering with a mission-driven nonprofit building open source technology to protect journalists and their sources, we encourage you to get in touch.
If you’d like to be a part of our team, please send a short cover letter and your resume to <email@example.com> by August 15, 2018. Please include links to your prior technical work where appropriate. Women, non-binary individuals, and minorities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Benefits of the job include a competitive nonprofit salary, health and dental insurance, 20 days of personal time off, 13 paid holidays plus the week between Christmas and New Year’s Day, 401(k) program with employer match, and commuter benefits. We value work-life balance, and we try to foster a kind, inclusive and collaborative culture.