Reporting to the Director of Development, the Membership Officer will be responsible for building out a robust membership program at Grist, with a goal of increasing engagement, retention, and revenue of Grist’s low-dollar donors. This includes creating an engaging annual membership communications plan, organizing and orchestrating appeals, serving as the face and point of contact for Grist’s membership program, and cultivating a portfolio of major donor prospects.
If you’re a rock star communicator who’s excited by the opportunity to build a world-class membership program for supporters of nonprofit environmental media, let’s talk! We’re looking for someone with both the vision to create a dynamic plan and who’s not afraid to get their hands dirty by writing compelling fundraising copy, diving into conversion rates, crafting creative benefits, or even organizing a local meet-up.
- Working in collaboration with the membership team, project manage annual appeals, one-off appeals, and engagement strategies designed to increase donors and the connection they feel to Grist
- In collaboration with our marketing team, work to optimize our marketing funnel, owning the subscriber to donor conversion rate
- Serve as the face of Grist’s membership program, answering member emails
- Respond to any credit card decline emails from recurring donors (Better yet, help us automate this.)
- Produce monthly membership emails and other member communications
- In collaboration with our membership team, maintain all static communications/pages
- Manage fulfillment of donor gifts and giveaways
- Serve as one of our organization’s experts on our email platform, maintaining relationships with its customer service personnel
- Brainstorm and define engagement opportunities for our members, including thank yous, and follow-ups
- Build out annual calendar of member communications (appeals, gifts and cards, newsletters, events)
- Assess and evaluate the effectiveness of the current membership program, identifying strengths and areas for improvement. Use this information to develop goals and objectives, build out a membership development plan to use for the new fiscal year
- Maintain donor database and produce reports to track, analyze, and inform decision-making
- In collaboration with the fundraising team, identify and cultivate a portfolio of members with potential to become major donors
- Stay abreast of industry trends, identifying new techniques and technologies or unique and creative ways to help Grist meet its goal of increased engagement, retention, and revenue
- Assist in the logistical support of meetings and special events
- Respond to donor and staff inquiries and other special projects, as assigned
- Contribute ideas, enthusiasm, and collegiality to a growing fundraising team
- Other duties as assigned
- 2+ years of nonprofit fundraising experience or other similar community-based or membership program
- Strong project management and organizational skills
- Ability to produce engaging content for newsletters, appeals, campaigns, etc.
- Constituent relationship management skills and techniques
- Excellent written and interpersonal communication skills, including the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with members and staff across other departments
- Excellent skills with Salesforce or other CRM databases, Pardot or similar email marketing platforms, MS Office, Google Products, Facebook, WordPress, and other online tools (surveys, etc.) — and a willingness to learn new skills in these areas
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience
To apply, send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Please include ‘Membership Officer’ in the subject line. We’re looking for a thoughtful, personalized cover letter that displays your qualifications, enthusiasm, and communication style. No phone calls, please. Grist is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org