Reporting to the Director of Development, the Membership Officer will be responsible for building out a robust membership program at Grist, with a goal of increasing engagement, retention, and revenue of Grist’s low-dollar donors. This includes creating an engaging annual membership communications plan, organizing and orchestrating appeals, serving as the face and point of contact for Grist’s membership program, and cultivating a portfolio of major donor prospects.
If you’re a rock star communicator who’s excited by the opportunity to build a world-class membership program for supporters of nonprofit environmental media, let’s talk! We’re looking for someone with both the vision to create a dynamic plan and who’s not afraid to get their hands dirty by writing compelling fundraising copy, diving into conversion rates, crafting creative benefits, or even organizing a local meet-up.
- Working in collaboration with the membership team, project manage annual appeals, one-off appeals, and engagement strategies designed to increase donors and the connection they feel to Grist
- In collaboration with our marketing team, work to optimize our marketing funnel, owning the subscriber to donor conversion rate
- Serve as the face of Grist’s membership program, answering member emails
- Respond to any credit card decline emails from recurring donors (Better yet, help us automate this.)
- Produce monthly membership emails and other member communications
- In collaboration with our membership team, maintain all static communications/pages
- Manage fulfillment of donor gifts and giveaways
- Serve as one of our organization’s experts on our email platform, maintaining relationships with its customer service personnel
- Brainstorm and define engagement opportunities for our members, including thank yous, and follow-ups
- Build out annual calendar of member communications (appeals, gifts and cards, newsletters, events)
- Assess and evaluate the effectiveness of the current membership program, identifying strengths and areas for improvement. Use this information to develop goals and objectives, build out a membership development plan to use for the new fiscal year
- Maintain donor database and produce reports to track, analyze, and inform decision-making
- In collaboration with the fundraising team, identify and cultivate a portfolio of members with potential to become major donors
- Stay abreast of industry trends, identifying new techniques and technologies or unique and creative ways to help Grist meet its goal of increased engagement, retention, and revenue
- Assist in the logistical support of meetings and special events
- Respond to donor and staff inquiries and other special projects, as assigned
- Contribute ideas, enthusiasm, and collegiality to a growing fundraising team
- Other duties as assigned
- 2+ years of nonprofit fundraising experience or other similar community-based or membership program
- Strong project management and organizational skills
- Ability to produce engaging content for newsletters, appeals, campaigns, etc.
- Constituent relationship management skills and techniques
- Excellent written and interpersonal communication skills, including the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with members and staff across other departments
- Excellent skills with Salesforce or other CRM databases, Pardot or similar email marketing platforms, MS Office, Google Products, Facebook, WordPress, and other online tools (surveys, etc.) — and a willingness to learn new skills in these areas
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience
To apply, send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Please include ‘Membership Officer’ in the subject line. We’re looking for a thoughtful, personalized cover letter that displays your qualifications, enthusiasm, and communication style. No phone calls, please. Grist is an equal opportunity employer.