INN is seeking a full-time bookkeeper and administrative professional to help with nonprofit bookkeeping and general office administration for a national membership, development and social enterprise organization. The position is based at our office in downtown LA.
This is an outstanding opportunity with a growing nonprofit for an enterprising individual interested in philanthropy or nonprofit management. INN is a national network of news sites that are creating a new sector in American news media, one that is nonprofit, nonpartisan, and with one purpose: public service. The Institute for Nonprofit News supports nearly 200 of these independent newsrooms. Together, we aim to strengthen the sources of trusted information for thousands of diverse communities.
This position supports the Executive Director and Director of Finance and Operations with office administration and bookkeeping. It’s a key position that intersects with program, development technical and membership staff across the country as well as in LA, so it offers a broad view of the organization and the news media landscape, though it is not a journalism job.
Bookkeeping/accounting responsibilities include:
- Perform bookkeeping/accounting duties for numerous nonprofit organizations
- Cash receipt activities – prepare donations received for processing in CRM and accounting databases, assign/review grant and account codes for entry, retain copy of all donation documents; prepare bank deposit slips for bank deposit
- Cash disbursement activities – assign accounting, grant and functional expense allocations for review and/or processing
- Process/print checks/ACH disbursements from automated accounting system (QuickBooks); prepare documents for scanning/filing; prepare monthly bank reconciliations
Office management responsibilities include:
- Field correspondence and phone calls; scanning, processing, referencing
- Assist with grant, donor and membership record-keeping in CRM database
- Assist development and membership staff with CRM database management
- Office management and support- order supplies, arrange deliveries, manage files (paper & electronic), etc.
- Staff administrative support for processing expenses, making travel arrangements, etc.
Here are some desired skills and attributes for the position (we understand you might not meet all of these but if this roughly sounds like you, we’d love to hear from you). You bring:
- An acute attention to detail.
- Extensive experience working with QuickBooks Online and QuickBooks Desktop required.
- Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and basic nonprofit accounting
- Experience in administrative support and/or basic project management.
- Strong software skills and working knowledge of Microsoft Office, Google documents systems, Quickbooks Desktop, Dropbox and similar cloud-based filing systems.
- Knowledge of CRM systems such as Salesforce or project management software and/or presentation software are a plus.
- An ability to figure out new systems and programs as needed and work comfortably in a Mac environment is important.
- An ability to organize your work and help others organize theirs
- Self-direction to manage ongoing tasks and make sure they get done on schedule, and track and report progress along the way.
- Proofreading and copyediting skills are a plus.
- Resourcefulness; figuring out how to get things done even if there isn’t a pattern for it.
- Independence and self-motivation to work and communicate proactively with staff and members in many locations.
- A sense of humor and helpfulness, not just to colleagues in INN but to our members who count on our organization for support.
Compensation & Conditions:
This position is located in INN’s DTLA office, near the Staples Center.
Salary commensurate with experience.
We value diversity, work in the open and do everything we can to give back to the journalism and nonprofit communities (Read more about our team values). INN is an equal opportunity employer and we’re actively seeking to increase diversity in our own operation and in the news media. We encourage applications from communities traditionally underrepresented in news media or philanthropy.
Applicants should send resume and cover letter to INN Executive Director Sue Cross, firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Institute for Nonprofit News is an incubator and support network for nonprofit newsrooms, strengthening the sources of independent, public service information for thousands of communities across the U.S. We are the only organization in the U.S. specifically focused on supporting the emerging nonprofit news sector.
The INN member network includes nearly 200 nonprofit news organizations dedicated to providing credible, nonpartisan news as a public service. INN provides a framework for collaboration and helps members develop new ways to support reliable news reporting, engage diverse communities and find business, technology and leadership support. Together, we work to bring investigative and civic news to more communities, hold the powerful accountable and give people knowledge to participate more fully in the public life of our democracy. More information can be found at https://inn.org.