Website International Consortium of Investigative Journalists (ICIJ)
This is a fantastic full-time job with career progression opportunities for an ambitious accountant in a fast-growing environment, working as a key individual in a small but high performing team.
The Accountant will work closely with the Chief Financial Officer (CFO), our outsourced providers, HR and the Office Manager and will have responsibility for all ICIJ’s accounting requirements. The Accountant will also maintain systems and procedures that support all of our financial management processes.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Maintain up-to-date information in Quickbooks or similar software.
- Prepare cash flow reports and deliver accurate and rigorous revenue and expense variance analysis, clearly highlighting drivers of financial performance.
- Deliver ad-hoc financial/commercial analysis, modelling and reporting including profitability assessment for specific funding projects, or projects associated with ICIJ ongoing operations.
- Manage outsourced semi-monthly payroll processing and monitor ICIJ’s retirement contribution and annual leave.
- Perform all month-end processing, accruals, adjustments, review of general ledger transactions, trial balances and activity statements.
- Assist with management of travel and other work expense reimbursement through an online expense management system.
- Perform monthly bank reconciliations with the office manager.
- Work with our outsourced payment gateway to ensure that all transactions are coded correctly.
- Liaise with our Grants Manager & reconcile monthly donations.
- Manage all GL interphases.
- Perform annual 1099 reporting process with vendors; coordinate the preparation and filing of other tax forms (IRS-990, etc.)
- Lead ICIJ’s annual audit preparation including providing materials and schedules to the auditors as required.
- File all accounting records, including but not limited to vendor payments, bank reconciliations, deposit records, payroll records, funder grants.
- Other duties as required
- Accounting degree.
- CPA qualifications an advantage but not critical.
- Experience in management accounting with a good understanding of financial accounting.
- Thorough knowledge of QuickBooks or similar accounting software.
- Strong attention to detail, excellent organizational skills with a can-do attitude.
- 4+ years of experience working in a non-profit or professional environment.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience applying United States Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), laws, regulations, and internal policies related to the areas of responsibility.
- Strong communication skills.
- Ability to work autonomously, as well as in a team environment.
- High level of PC literacy particularly in Excel & Word.
Are you interested in applying?
Please send your resume and a cover letter explaining why you think you’re the right candidate for this position to Gordon Dunlop at email@example.com.
The team at ICIJ is small but highly ambitious, creative, energetic and passionate about our mission: producing investigative journalism with global impact. We value team-players who are willing to go beyond the duties on their job description to help the organization grow. ICIJ prides itself on supporting career development and nurturing skills to help each employee achieve their full potential.
ICIJ is committed to hiring employees from diverse backgrounds with excellent journalism skills. People of color, women, LGBT+, and differently-abled people are strongly encouraged to apply.