MinnPost is an online-only news publisher best known for its coverage of Minnesota politics and policy. We are proudly nonprofit, nonpartisan and member-supported. Founded in 2007, MinnPost has grown to become one of Minnesota’s most respected news outlets and a national leader in the nascent nonprofit news industry. In two of the last three years it was named among the nation’s three best outlets of its size by the Online News Association.
We are looking for a Director of Development to join our executive team and manage our individual fundraising efforts, which currently provide about half of our annual operating budget of $1.6 million.
About the position
The Director of Development reports to the CEO and oversees MinnPost’s individual fundraising efforts, which currently account for about $800,000 in annual revenue. Top priorities are increasing revenue from major gifts and growing our base of 3,100 member households. The Director of Development also helps set MinnPost’s direction as a member of the business leadership team, along with the CEO, Director of Advertising & Sponsorship, and Director of Finance.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Direct a full-scale development effort that includes annual fund, major gifts, special campaigns, fundraising events, and stewardship.
- Manage the process of identifying, cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding individual donors, with a special focus on major gifts ($1,000+), working in close coordination with the CEO and MinnPost Board Development Committee.
- Direct the annual fund / membership program, developing timely and persuasive fundraising communications and managing our online giving platform.
- Manage all off-stage logistics for two annual fundraising events – MinnRoast and the Anniversary Party – that together draw about 2,000 attendees.
- Direct donor data collection, management, and analysis using our Salesforce CRM system.
- Coordinate the work of volunteer Board members as staff liaison to the Board’s Development and Events committees.
Qualifications & Salary
Strong candidates will have:
- Passion for public-service journalism
- Bachelor’s degree or higher
- 4 or more years in nonprofit fundraising, including experience with major gifts
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrated excellence in project management
- Familiarity with donor databases and the ability to use database information for purposes of analysis
- Previous experience managing direct reports is preferred but not required
Anticipated salary range of $55,000 to $65,000, based on experience and qualifications.
Send résumé and cover letter to email@example.com. No phone calls, please.
Position is open until filled. Interviews expected to begin in mid-June.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org