The Montclair Local is a startup news organization that covers the thriving community of Montclair, in northern New Jersey. Founded three years ago, the Local publishes an award-winning weekly newspaper and website and maintains active social media channels.
We’re looking for an entrepreneurial individual to help take the Local’s business and operations to the next level as Executive Director. This is a difficult time for local news and we’re looking for this person to help us develop a new paradigm for a community news organization.
Key responsibilities include:
– Develop a membership and donation program for the publication to generate ongoing reader revenue to support the Local’s mission.
– Define the parameters and value proposition of membership, lead marketing efforts to draw contributors, continually iterate to improve the program.
– Source and apply for grants to support the organization’s mission, and solicit funds from major donors.
– Oversee the advertising sales team.
– Explore other revenue-generating opportunities such as events or sponsored content.
– Manage business operations, such as payroll and accounting, and vendor relationships.
-Set strategy for audience-building through social media and email
This is a unique opportunity to build a new kind of local media business in this thriving community of 38,000 people located just 12 miles west of New York City. Montclair is home to a racially and economically diverse population. The Local plays an important role covering schools, local government, sports and community events. It is in the process of becoming a non-profit organization, supported by the community.
Montclair is a media savvy community, and many members of the world’s most important and influential news organizations call it home. Board members for the Local include Kathleen Carroll, former executive editor of the Associated Press, Stephen Engelberg, executive editor of ProPublica, Jake Silverstein, executive editor of The New York Times Magazine, and Jason White, director for News Partnerships at Facebook.
The ideal candidate will have experience in for-profit or non-profit revenue or fundraising, ideally in the news space. We’re looking for someone with marketing savvy and a demonstrated track record of execution who can turn ideas into reality.
– College degree
– Experience with a reader revenue or donations program
– Clear ideas for how to build a membership business
– Self-starter who can execute with minimal supervision
– Willingness to live in the Montclair area
– Ability to thrive in a fast-moving, lean organization
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com