Starting salary: $80,000 per year
The News Revenue Hub publishes starting salaries for all positions as part of our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion. To ensure pay equity, this starting amount is not negotiable. News Revenue Hub also offers attractive benefits, opportunities for advancement, and merit-based pay increases.
Location: Remote (Permanent)
Reports to: Sr. Director of Member Strategy
The News Revenue Hub is looking for a senior project manager to take the lead on the Hub’s audience and membership labs and other group-learning workshops, and help deliver Hub services to member newsrooms. An all-around audience development expert, the Senior Project manager, Audience Development has a proven ability to dynamically execute audience development work inside newsrooms. This person will work closely with news organizations to size up their audience development needs and execute strategies that set them up for spectacular results.
This role is part taskmaster and part creative audience-development strategist. The ideal candidate for this role will have several years of proven experience working in audience roles within a newsroom. They will have demonstrable abilities to enthusiastically manage multiple projects at once. As part of our Member Success Team, they will learn, document, and improve upon the Hub’s audience and membership methodologies, and assume an internal leadership role on the team from Day 1.
Duties and responsibilities include:
- Manage an organization’s full experience at the Hub from onboarding through the full project cycle
- Lead high-level audience development and membership strategy sessions with newsroom partners
- Oversee and execute the Hub’s audience and membership labs and other group-learning workshops
- Run newsroom training sessions for search engine optimization, social media, analytics, newsletters, membership, and other topics key to the Hub’s success.
- Keep track of multiple projects with their accompanying metrics, milestones, timelines, task lists, and budgets
- Have a finger on the pulse of developments taking place in the industry, including in technology, UX, and fundraising — inviting opinions from peers and sharing our point of view with our newsrooms
- Train and advise Project Managers on the team, providing guidance and ideas for resolving members’ requests, tasks, and questions.
- 4+ years of newsroom experience in audience development
- Fluency with Google Analytics required; experience with Parse.ly and other analytics suites preferred. Additional experience with Google Data Studio, advanced Excel, and Tableau also preferred
- You gravitate toward leadership and thrive as a member of an experienced and collaborative team; proven leadership experience strongly preferred
- You have strong planning and organizational skills; you understand and have experience using Agile project management methodologies; project management credentials a plus but not required
- Working knowledge of project management software such as Basecamp is a plus
- You are a positive and strong communicator (verbal and written) and you’re good at keeping team members and stakeholders informed; you have excellent interpersonal skills and you don’t shy away from tough conversations when required to get the job done
- You are entrepreneurial, good at managing your time, and enjoy working in a fast-paced startup environment
- You have the confidence to ask for advice when needed
- Empathy, communication, respect, patience, and a willingness to help out, whether it’s the Hub, a member you serve, or someone else
- The ability to self-motivate, self-manage and work remotely
- This job has supervisory responsibilities.
About News Revenue Hub
We are a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization dedicated to helping news outlets develop stronger business models. We provide a robust technology infrastructure specifically designed for journalism fundraising, along with customized strategies for audience and membership and donor development.
We work with over 60 news organizations and have had the opportunity to work on projects with big impact. Our approach to sustainability is holistic and we work closely with editors and audience strategists as we do with membership officers and fundraisers.
News Revenue Hub works with news organizations to implement fundraising models, automate time consuming processes, conduct experiments, adopt best practices, and more. Our mission is to help newsrooms achieve financial sustainability and take on the heavy lifting so our members can focus on what they do best: producing high quality journalism.
About the team & your role
The Hub is a fully remote operation built on communication, transparency, trust and respect. This role will be shaped by the News Revenue Hub team and incorporate feedback and lessons learned from our members. Your day to day work will likely include:
- Interfacing with journalists, editors, and C-Suite executives representing our member newsrooms
- Training newsroom staff on fundraising best practices and more
- Setting up reports for member newsrooms
- Working alongside the Sr. Director of Member Strategy to come up with new strategies to help our member newsrooms grow
- We understand that you may not have direct experience in all of these areas. In fact, our team comes from a variety of backgrounds including journalism, technology, nonprofit management and the humanities sector. But we do ask that applicants have demonstrated experience working in journalism. Additionally, we value an openness to learning and collaboration.
Benefits of working at the Hub include:
- 100% remote team with post-pandemic potential travel
Full health benefits (medical, dental,vision).
- 401k plan with match
- Home office stipend and cell phone reimbursement
- Flexible work hours with a generous vacation policy
- Life insurance
- Annual performance reviews with merit-based increases and opportunities for advancement
To apply for this job please visit fundjournalism.org.