Next City seeks an Audience Engagement Editor who leads the organization’s social media presence and communications, while managing online production of stories and distribution of content via email newsletters and more. The position reports to the Executive Director. The editor manages Next City’s membership program and is an important player in grassroots digital fundraising, fulfillment, and direct mail. The editor is responsible for all outreach and audience development.
Though the position requires the business savvy of someone with experience in marketing and outreach, it also requires skills typical of a journalist, such as the ability to write on a short deadline and an excellent handle of grammar and word usage. As the Audience Engagement Editor is an external-facing position, this person will represent Next City and thus must be passionate about the organization’s mission to inspire social, economic and environmental change in cities.
Responsibilities will include:
- Promote Next City’s journalism, events, programming and other materials.
- Manage Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn and other social media accounts.
- Responsible for paid digital promotion through Facebook, Twitter and Google.
- Manage multiple email newsletters, along with writing promotional emails.
- Manage the placement of banner advertising via Google Ad Manager.
- Support the development manager on Next City’s donor and membership campaigns.
- Manage the reader and donor database to ensure constituent information is up to date.
- Organize member-only events and webinars with Events Director.
- Maintain Next City’s brand, messaging consistency and website operations.
Our ideal candidate has:
- 1-3 years experience in social media engagement and journalism.
Experience in both the editorial and marketing sides of journalism.
- Excellent project management and organizational skills.
- Experience using online content management systems and email newsletter systems.
- Competency with basic HTML and CSS.
- Experience gathering and reporting stats from Google Analytics and other sources.
- Experience communicating via phone with partners and funders.
- Interest in urbanism, community development, racial equity, and U.S. cities.
- A commitment to the mission and vision of Next City.
Founded in 2003, Next City is an independent nonprofit organization with a mission to inspire social, economic and environmental change in cities through journalism and events around the world. We publish award-winning long-form features and daily online coverage of the leaders, policies and innovations driving progress and change in metropolitan regions across the world.
Preference will be given to candidates with knowledge of journalism or subject areas relevant to coverage of cities, including but not limited to affordable and fair housing, transportation equity, equitable economic development, smart cities, renewable energy and sustainability, and more. We are a small staff and everyone wears many hats. You must be a team player, detail-oriented, adept at prioritizing and multi-tasking, and willing to pitch in where needed. Some travel will be required.
This is a full-time position preferably based in our Philadelphia office. To apply, please send a cover letter, resume, and samples of your work or writing to email@example.com. Please put “Audience Engagement Editor” in the subject line. This position will remain open until filled.
Next City is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status.