Institute for Nonprofit News (INN), a network of nearly 200 nonprofit news organizations, has an immediate opening for a Project Manager on our product and technology team, INN Labs.
The position may be located in Denver or remotely in the United States.
INN Labs serves the fast-growing field of independent investigative and public service news. Across the U.S., news entrepreneurs and communities are founding and growing digital native news sites. These are fast-moving, innovative, and award-winning newsrooms. INN Labs directly supports more than 50 of these news organizations and advances the sector through our technical services.
INN Labs focuses on:
- Providing custom web design and development, digital product planning, documentation, and training to independent news media clients and members.
- Building open source tools to solve their needs for growth and support reporting, revenue generation, and public engagement.
- Working with innovative partners such as NPR Digital, Knight News Lab, and the Trust Project to make easily adopted publisher tools on a network scale.
- Advancing and supporting 50+ news websites using Largo, our WordPress theme for publishers which we design, build, and maintain.
The work is divided between INN Labs projects and one-on-one contracting, advising, and support for individual news sites, most of them nonprofits. Learn more about our team in our docs and check out our projects on GitHub.
The ideal candidate for this position is a self-motivated and tech-savvy project manager with WordPress expertise, who is interested in the reinvention of news media, trust in media, and a free press.
The project manager will be able to ask the right questions to see beyond a given assignment, understand how the task at hand relates to the larger goals of our projects and products, and quickly anticipate scope, budget and timeline challenges. They will work alongside INN Labs’ experienced team of designers, developers, and strategists to deliver exceptional project outcomes.
- Manage scope, timeline and budget execution.
- Manage expectations for the INN Labs team, account managers, and client stakeholders.
- Run scrums and other status meetings.
- Coordinate resources to complete project tasks within the established project plan, objectives, and timelines.
- Review team hours and budget on an ongoing basis.
- Set up and maintain tickets in the management system.
- Escalate any challenges or risks to the appropriate team members for resolution.
- Manage a collection of assets and information from our clients.
- Guide content migration of data from existing websites.
- Perform meeting prep, prepare agendas, and handle all follow-up.
- Train/onboard clients at launch and provide documentation for non-technical users.
- Produce weekly and monthly summary reports.
Desired skills and attributes for the position:
- At least 2 years of experience working as a client-facing PM, ideally in an agency setting.
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills and the ability to discuss both technical and business project requirements in detail.
- Self-motivated, detail-oriented, strong organizational skills.
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment with minimal supervision.
- Experience in managing multiple projects concurrently under changing demands.
- Can create, build, implement, and lead process.
- Ability to ruthlessly prioritize, meet deadlines, and say “no” when necessary.
- Basic understanding of GitHub and ability to learn new technologies quickly.
- Experience with agile, waterfall, and hybrid management styles.
- Experience writing end-user documentation and explaining complex technical concepts to non-technical users.
- Experience with remote collaboration tools such as Slack, Google Docs, Trello, or other PM tools.
Nice to have:
- News industry experience.
- An eye for design.
- Hands-on technical experience.
- Project Management certification.
We understand you might not have all of these covered. If this sounds like a good fit for your skills and interests, we would love to hear from you!
What You’ll Get:
This is a full-time position with benefits. Our compensation package is competitive and commensurate with experience. We are also committed to giving our employees the tools they need to do their job and supporting their professional growth. You’ll get a generous allowance for hardware, software, travel to conferences, training, etc.
We are a distributed team and this can be a remote position, or based in our Denver operations. Previous experience working remotely is preferred, but we’ll help and support your transition if this is your first remote job. We are committed to giving our employees the tools they need to do their job and supporting their professional growth.
INN is an equal opportunity employer and we are committed to creating a workplace where diversity is valued. In addition to federal law requirements, INN complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.
Please send your resume (as a PDF attachment) and a brief cover letter (as an email) to email@example.com:
Please answer the following in your cover letter:
- Why is this job the perfect fit for you?
- How has your previous experience prepared you for this position?
- Why are you excited to join INN, and our team, in particular?
We’re excited to hear from you!