Religion News Service, an independent, nonprofit source of global news on religion, politics, faith and spirituality, is looking for a Development Director to join our team.
Reporting to and working in close collaboration with the CEO/Publisher, the Development Director will provide critical support to RNS’s revenue growth strategy to further our mission. The Development Director will manage the major gifts and foundation grants programs.
Major gifts program
- Research major donor prospects, create plan for outreach, conduct discovery and shepherd new major donor prospects into a relationship with RNS
- Prepare CEO for gift asks by scheduling, briefing and drafting proposals, as necessary
- With CEO, create a stewardship plan for each major donor and lead the implementation of those plans
- Maintain Salesforce (donor database) and leverage technology to track and report on contacts, proposals, gifts, pledges, etc.
- Record, process and acknowledge gifts made to the organization
Foundation grants program
- Working with CEO, develop strategy and direction for RNS’s grant program
- Research funder prospects, keep track of grant cycles and coordinate drafting of grant proposals
- Manage grant reporting
- Build and maintain relationships with grant makers and develop strategies for increasing the likelihood of awards
- Collaborate with team members to plan and execute virtual and in-person events that engage and inform RNS members and major donors
- Contribute to staff meetings and discussions, collaborate with teammates, develop a deep understanding of the nonprofit news industry
- Interested candidates should have a passion for the First Amendment and civic engagement and nonpartisan in outlook
- Excellent written and verbal communication and organizational and time management skills
- Outgoing and excited to build relationships with donors and connect our mission to their passions
- Creative thinker and problem solver
- Responsive, tactful and professional and possessing a donor-centric mindset
- Previous development experience is a plus, but not required
- Experience working in a fast-paced, innovative startup atmosphere is a plus
- Experience leveraging technology in your workflow – i.e, CRM database, cloud-based collaboration, email marketing, spreadsheets, video conferencing, cloud-based project management, etc.
- You are committed to diversity and inclusion, and its value in the workplace. You care about and believe in the critical role that journalism plays in our democracy
- Bachelor’s degree required
The successful candidate may work remotely. Preference will be given to candidates able to commute to New York City as needed.
About Religion News Service
Religion News Service (RNS) is an independent, nonprofit source of global news on religion, spirituality, culture and ethics, reported by a staff of professional journalists. Our work is distributed by the Associated Press to its 15,000 news clients globally, and 2 million users visit our website monthly. Founded in 1934, RNS informs readers with objective reporting and insightful commentary, and is relied upon by readers, listeners and viewers in the United States and around the world. Visit religionnews.com.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com