In These Times, an independent, nonprofit magazine, is dedicated to advancing democracy and economic justice, informing movements for a more humane world, and providing an accessible forum for debate about the policies that shape our future.
Depending on experience, responsibilities include:
- Researching and fact-checking articles for In These Times and InTheseTimes.com, especially for the online Rural America blog
- Participating in submissions meetings
- Writing web stories on issues affecting rural communities
- Writing regular short features in the print magazine including Louder Than Words, Blueprints, and Art Space sections
- Pitching longer stories for print or for InTheseTimes.com, while receiving guidance from ITT editors in crafting pitches and pursuing story ideas
- Prepping stories for the website, including proofreading and photo research publishing and fundraising tasks.
Interns will develop fact-checking, research and writing skills that will come in handy in any journalism or research career; they’ll also develop a sizable knowledge base on rural issues. In addition, interns will get the chance to work in an office and be part of a team, contributing creatively to group efforts. Interns will get at least one website clip.
- More info here: http://inthesetimes.com/internships-jobs/
- Hours/week: 16+ (optionally up to 40)
- Start and end dates: Flexible
- How to apply: We prefer summer applications by March 1, fall applications by July 1, and winter/spring applications by November 1. Send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Writing samples encouraged but not required.
- Payment: We cover all interns’ transportation, and offer a limited number of needs-based stipends.