The San Francisco Public Press is a nonprofit news organization that provides independent analysis of government and other powerful interests through in-depth investigative reports published online and in a quarterly print edition. We cover politics, housing, education, environment, labor, economics, immigration, health, public safety and a range of other topics. We also produce podcasts and terrestrial radio broadcasts via a new independent radio station, KSFP, on 102.5 FM in San Francisco.
We are seeking an experienced graphic designer to lay out the print newspaper every three months, provide visual design oversight of the redesigned website and enhance the organization’s visual branding across all media. This seasonal, contract position is an opportunity to work with a stellar team to craft a high-quality print publication.
We produce a full-color, 12-page broadsheet print edition every three months, during which the design director works approximately 100 hours. The bulk of this role’s work occurs during the final month of the print cycle, when the designer works between 15 and 30 hours per week.
WE’RE SEEKING AN EXPERIENCED NEWS DESIGNER WHO:
- Produces high-quality work and hits deadlines.
- Collaborates effectively in a small-team environment that requires clear and frequent communication about assignments.
- Wants to think creatively about new or original ways to display content through design elements including text, photos, infographics and illustration.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Design the print edition quarterly. Most of the design work can happen remotely.
- Plan pages in consultation with editors.
- Assist in lead-photo selection and graphics/illustration ideation.
- Collaborate in person with the editorial team on page-proofing in our San Francisco Civic Center area office.
- Create, maintain and document in-house style guidelines.
- Participate in weekly editorial planning meetings.
- Design branding, promotional and display material.
EXPERIENCE & KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED:
- Three or more years of professional experience in editorial-focused graphic design.
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite.
- Knowledge of journalism ethics, Associated Press style, photo editing principles, typography, art direction, design theory for print and web journalism.
OUR DREAM CANDIDATE POSSESSES:
- A bachelors or masters degree in journalism, graphic arts or related field.
- The ability to produce high-end, creative and compelling infographics for desktop and mobile, in addition to print.
- A comfort with digital collaboration tools like Slack, Airtable and Box (equivalent to Dropbox).
This position is a contractor arrangement. It averages to 8 hours per week (20% time), but varies greatly over the course of each three-month interval, ramping up to nearly full time during the last two weeks of production. Compensation commensurate with experience, in the market range for comparable positions in nonprofit local independent news.
WHAT WE NEED FROM YOU:
- Resume, including your e-mail address and phone number.
- A thoughtful cover letter about what you’d bring to the Public Press. We want to hear your ideas for taking the print edition to the next level. Please review past print editions here.
- A portfolio of your best work (PDFs, photos and website links preferred, but printouts accepted).
- Three professional references.
Please submit all materials to:
ATTN: Michael Stoll, Executive Director
San Francisco Public Press
44 Page St., Suite 504
San Francisco, CA 94102
jobs <at> sfpublicpress <dot> org
The Public Press encourages and actively recruits applicants representing a broad diversity of backgrounds including but not limited to age, national origin, ethnicity, race, religion, ability, sexual orientation, gender or political affiliation.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com