Website The American Journalism Project
The American Journalism Project is seeking a Marketing and Communications Associate to support the Head of Marketing for a growing venture philanthropy organization that provides grants to local newsrooms across the U.S. The Associate will be working in a collaborative work environment as part of a growing team, and will have significant exposure to all aspects of brand strategy development and marketing communications execution. The Associate must be informed and passionate about local news and be able to articulate AJP’s vision and core values across multiple channels.
This position reports to the Head of Marketing and Communications, Kymberlee Norsworthy.
WHO WE ARE
We’re an entrepreneurial team working to re-shape the future of local news in our country. We’re passionate about journalism, civic engagement and how local news plays a unique role in shaping our democracy.
We build and grow sustainable local news organizations all over the country, through financial investment, venture support, and movement building.
We are a distributed team and strive to maintain a healthy, fun and productive workplace, working alongside smart, energetic colleagues who enjoy one another and enjoy the work.
The Associate will support the VP, Marketing and Communications in the development and implementation of a multifaceted communications strategy and plan that ignites the national conversation about local news, fosters cohesive internal communications and amplifies the mission of the American Journalism Project and the work of its grantee newsrooms. Candidates should be excited about developing and executing brand strategy, as well as the operational details of building a blue-chip marketing and communications department.
Marketing and Communications Support to the VP
- Assist with the development and execution of a multi-channel communications strategy that motivates, educates, informs and influences target audiences.
- Assist with the development of a creative and robust social media marketing strategy.
- Oversee the management of social media accounts.
- Assist with cultivating and maintaining relationships with national, state, and local press that cover the civic news and philanthropic sectors.
- Assist with the overall operational management of the department.
Associate Specific Responsibilities:
- Draft corporate communications materials and calendars.
- Draft or edit public information materials including press releases, op-eds, blog posts, pitches, statements, factsheets and other marketing communications documents.
- Develop and update media kits, key messages, talking points & other materials as needed.
- Write, edit, and proofread specific presentation decks or other marketing materials as needed for the AJP team.
- Create and Manage editorial content for newsletters.
- Develop and follow monthly and annual editorial and communications calendars to ensure that events, news, and programmatic updates are optimally posted.
- Develop and manage AJP’s social media presence.
- Create social media content and posting schedule.
- Enhance social media presence and engagement via creative, relevant, and informative posts that increase awareness, interest and support of the civic news movement, AJP and its grantees.
- Identify and manage outside social media resources as appropriate.
- Manage communications research and tracking efforts.
- Monitor and analyze the key performance metrics of AJP marketing initiatives.
- Contribute communications data and research insights to departmental updates and reports.
- Oversee media tracking for all garnered media coverage.
- Conduct research to identify opportunities to generate audience growth and expand thought leadership of team members.
- Maintain contact databases.
- Manage content updates to THEAJP.org
- Identify and manage research resources as needed.
- Monitor AJP newsletters and other grantee and sector news.
WHO YOU ARE
This role is a fit if you…
- Are a motivated self-starter with demonstrated good judgement, critical thinking, flexibility, resourcefulness, and problem-solving skills.
- Have excellent written and verbal communication skills, along with a demonstrated ability to compose and edit effective, thoughtful, and strategic communications across multiple platforms.
- Are social media savvy, from a strategic and engagement standpoint, posting, responding, reposting and maintaining a seamless rhythm for the organization across social media platforms.
- Have strong interpersonal skills and an ability to work collaboratively with others in a team environment.
- Have the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously, while maintaining a firm grasp on individual project details and deadlines.
- Have experience implementing a communications strategy via a variety of mediums.
- Are detail-oriented, organized and have a strong track record of following projects through to completion.
What background and skills do you have? (We know not all strong candidates will have all the skills we list. That’s OK. What else do you bring to the table? Please tell us!)
- Bachelor’s degree.
- At least four years of marketing and communications experience.
- Experience working with traditional and digital media, especially social media.
- Experience producing content and materials, particularly digital communications.
- Experience managing social media accounts, both content and analytics.
- Experience as or working with journalists and members of the media is a plus.
- Experience with event and/or project management.
Your work will be crucial in our efforts to provide responsive and transformational support to civic news organizations across the country.
You’ll report directly to the VP, Marketing and Communications and work closely with other members of our program and operations teams.
Start date: As soon as possible
This is a full-time position with competitive salary and benefits.
How to Apply
Please submit an application through our portal here by Friday, February 26, 2021. If you have any questions please feel free to email firstname.lastname@example.org with “Marketing and Communications Associate” in the subject line.
To apply for this job please visit airtable.com.