Website The American Journalism Project
Critical advancement role at a new venture philanthropy organization.
The American Journalism Project is a new venture philanthropy organization focused on local news. We support social entrepreneurs building civic news organizations in the places they live and strengthening democracy for the next generation.
The Head of Marketing and Communications will bring a strategic approach to building the AJP brand and mobilizing a national movement to support the local press our democracy deserves.
In this role, you will design and execute a marketing communications strategy to tell the story of AJP and its grantees across the U.S.
Communications Strategy, Vision and Leadership
Develop and oversee an overall brand strategy in support of AJP’s mission.
Manage and execute the brand and identity for all print, presented and digital content.
- Develop marketing metrics and tracking system.
- Serve as a primary point of contact for members of the media.
- Creative direction for all marketing and communications outputs.
- Identify, manage, and execute media and speaking appearances.
- Write and edit press materials, talking points and other key case-making documents.
- Manage and oversee AJP’s digital communications, including leading a redesign of AJP’s website.
- Work collaboratively with internal managers to support their communications needs.
- Manage an agency relationship to support AJP’s brand identity and related messaging.
- You will work closely with our CEO, as well as AJP strategy and development staff.
- We expect to hire a number two once you get comfortable in the role.
WHO YOU ARE
This role is a fit if…
- You are a marketer at heart and think in terms of movement building.
- You are a highly organized self-starter and comfortable in a fast-moving organization.
- You are an innovative thinker, with a track record for translating strategic thinking into action plans and output.
- You are deeply committed to the vital importance of local journalism in democracy.
What background and skills do you have? (We know not all strong candidates will have all the skills we list. That’s OK. What else do you bring to the table? Please tell us!):
- Demonstrated experience and leadership developing and managing a comprehensive brand and marketing communications strategy and plan.
- Demonstrated experience building communications strategies and teams that center diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- A successful track record of work in advocacy, movement building, politics, and/or philanthropic ventures.
- Exceptional fluency in digital communications strategies.
- Strong writing,editing and visual presentation skills.
- Excellent judgment and superior attention to detail.
- Ability to build trust-based relationships with colleagues in a virtual setting.
- Flexibility and comfort working in an environment where multitasking is the norm, the pace is fast, and priorities will evolve.
- Knowledge of the media landscape and an ability to work well with journalists.
- Proficient with G-Suite, including strong visual and presentation (slides) skills.
- Relevant work experience (e.g. nonprofit communications, campaign development and execution).
Your voice will carry through every part of our growing organization and help us mobilize a movement with excellence, humility and greater impact.
Please send a PDF of your resume to email@example.com. Include “Head of Marketing and Communications” in the subject line. Please include a few sentences in your email about your interest in the role.
To apply for this job please visit www.theajp.org.