Website The American Journalism Project
The American Journalism Project is looking for an SVP of Portfolio Success to serve as a senior leader of the organization and lead our strategy to provide course-changing support to local news leaders across the country so that they can build and grow thriving, inclusive, and sustainable news organizations and to build a knowledge center of best practices and learning for our grantees and the sector at large.
The SVP of Portfolio Success will be an experienced and strategic leader and manager who has a track-record of developing, delivering, and evaluating strategic support to nonprofit organizations to achieve measurable results. This is an unique opportunity to contribute to the future of local news and support the next generation of civic news leaders.
WHO WE ARE
We’re an entrepreneurial team working to re-shape the future of local news in our country. We’re passionate about journalism, civic engagement, and how local news plays a unique role in shaping our democracy.
We help build and grow sustainable local news organizations all over the country — through financial investment, venture support, and movement building — that are governed by, sustained by and look like the public they serve.
We are a distributed team and strive to maintain a healthy, fun, and productive workplace, working alongside smart, energetic colleagues who enjoy one another and the work.
The SVP of Portfolio Success will report to the CEO and oversee a team of approximately four people including the VP of Portfolio Support and VP of Knowledge and Learning.
They will partner closely with the SVP of Strategy and Startups to oversee our programmatic work and coaching of our Success Partners (Success Partner is the AJP term for the person who provides close support to grantees and serves as their advisor and main liaison to AJP).
Your leadership will enable our grantees to deliver a return on our investment in the form of sustainable growth and an ability to serve their diverse communities more effectively. You’ll play a vital role in supporting local news social entrepreneurs across the country and will lay the groundwork for the future of local news in the U.S.
The SVP of Portfolio Success will provide a vision for how to support an outstanding portfolio of organizations, track performance, and amplify our learning. Reporting to the CEO, the SVP of Portfolio Success will lead efforts to provide our grantees with sustained coaching, capacity building support, and strategic guidance and will have the following responsibilities:
- Lead strategy and execution of Portfolio Success team activities.
- Develop the overall grantee services and support strategy.
- Design and lead support planning cycles to facilitate pattern spotting and ensure our grantee support is resulting in measurable results.
- Build communities of practice amongst civic news leaders which meet diverse needs.
- Bring expertise and innovative thinking to develop the capabilities of our grantees in areas such as:
- Attracting outstanding and diverse business talent into the nonprofit news sector.
- Financial management and revenue planning.
- Building world-class fundraising operations and revenue teams.
- Building and stewarding outstanding boards.
- Leading organizations committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Oversee communications with grantees to ensure they have a frictionless experience working with AJP and have easy access to all opportunities and communities of practice.
- Curate and design tools and resources for our grantees.
- Oversee our knowledge and learning efforts, including designing and executing an impact evaluation strategy, and data collection and analysis.
- Lead efforts to track individual grantee progress to ensure we are delivering a return on our investment in the form of increased revenue and sustainable growth.
- Oversee an editorial strategy to capture and amplify our learnings of what it takes to run an excellent and sustainable civic news organizations.
- Develop partnerships with external researchers and scholars.
Provide organizational leadership
- Collaborate with the CEO and SVP of Strategy and Startups to lead our overall programmatic strategy and plans.
- Work closely with the CEO and SVP of Strategy and Start-ups to identify and address challenges and opportunities across the entire grantee portfolio (from pure start-ups to more mature grantees) to ensure AJP grantees have the type of support they need to deliver a return on our investment.
- Ensure our learnings are informing our investment strategies in new and existing organizations and effectively guiding our support strategy.
- Serve as a key contributor to our investment strategy as a member of our portfolio development committee.
- Work with CEO, Philanthropy, and Marketing teams to ensure we are effectively capturing and amplifying stories of learning and impact.
Coach cross-team leaders
- Serve as a Success Partner to several AJP grantees (Success Partner is the AJP term for the person who provides close support to grantees and serves as their advisor and main liaison to AJP)
- Oversee our Success Partners model, providing cross-team strategy and planning and acting as a coach to our coaches
WHO YOU ARE
This role is a fit if you are…
- Strategic leader: You have 7-10 years of leadership experience, both setting strategy and managing teams. You thrive at understanding and navigating through complexity and setting clear strategy and prioritization. You love to see a complex problem and come up with a clear solution.
- Excellent communicator: You excel at written and verbal communications. You are able to effectively communicate strategy and distill impact in a way that can inspire our board, grantees, and external stakeholders.
- Collaborative and agile: You love people and you are the kind of person that brings energy to a meeting. You excel at collaborating across teams without direct authority.
- Systems-thinker and pattern-spotter: Our goals are cross organizational and very little can be accomplished without the input and collaboration of others. You love working across teams, spotting patterns, and facilitating processes that enable effective collaboration.
- Coach: You are an excellent coach to peers and leaders and have demonstrated the ability to support others to deliver results.
- Committed to equity: You bring experience of managing across lines of difference. You’ve worked with organizations led by BIPOC and/or local nonprofits that have a track record of serving diverse communities and bring a fluency that has been shaped by those experiences.
- Bold and mission-oriented: You wake up every day terrified about the future of local news in our country but boldly optimistic that we can reimagine our country’s local news infrastructure. You work with urgency to get us there faster.
- Fun and supportive: We are working hard to reimagine the future of local news and our mission is vitally important to the future of our country. We also love the people we work with and love to laugh.
What background and skills do you have? (We know not all strong candidates will have all the skills we list. That’s OK. What else do you bring to the table? Please tell us!):
- An ideal candidate would have leadership experience in all three of the following areas: journalism, nonprofit leadership, and philanthropy.
- We are building a nimble and entrepreneurial organization so we are looking for people who thrive at adapting to evolving demands and creatively solving problems.
- Not afraid to dive into the details and be an individual contributor while also getting on the balcony to set strategy.
- Willingness to travel (at a future date) to assess progress of grantees.
How to Apply
Please submit an application through our portal here by February 12, 2021. If you have any questions please feel free to email email@example.com with “SVP, Portfolio Success” in the subject line.
The American Journalism Project is dedicated to equal employment opportunities for all applicants and employees. The American Journalism Project encourages people of all races, colors, national origins, ancestries, creeds, religions, genders, ages, disabilities, veteran status, sexual orientations, and marital statuses to apply.
To apply for this job please visit airtable.com.