Website The Center for Public Integrity
The Center for Public Integrity is seeking a Data Editor to help us investigate power with data and oversee a muscular data team that builds upon the Center’s historic leadership in data-based journalism. The Data Editor will oversee data collection and analysis for a variety of Center projects, among them investigations dealing with money and politics, climate change, economic inequality, state government, broadband and technology, and national security. This position reports directly to the Executive Editor. He or she will also work closely and collaboratively with the Center’s managing editors. The ideal candidate will understand and embrace the goals of a digital news environment, social media and multimedia. The data editor will additionally build and oversee partnerships with other news outlets for reporting and publication of data across platforms, and facilitate outreach plans around data associated with the Center’s work.
The Center for Public Integrity is committed to hiring employees from diverse backgrounds with excellent investigative journalism skills. People of color, women, LGBTQ and differently abled people are encouraged to apply.
Responsibilities and Expectations:
- Manage a small team of data reporters and news developers.
- Oversee the collection, analysis and publication of data for the Center’s investigative projects.
- Work with the editorial staff to discuss, manage, evaluate and the use of data in stories and projects.
- Develop and implement new approaches to create effective data visualization elements for the web and social media.
- Work with managing editors to develop data partnerships and collaborations with outside news outlets.
- Stay current with developments and trends in data journalism.
Set data standards, ensure compliance with those and the Center’s editorial standards and ethics.
- Coordinate with both the Communications and Development departments in rolling out projects and explore and assist with funding for editorial projects.
- Other duties as assigned
Desired Skills and Qualifications:
- College degree or equivalent experience.
- Excellent spreadsheet and database skills, including familiarity with SQL.
- Familiar with math and statistics needed for sophisticated data analysis.
- Familiar with at least one programming language.
- Basic data visualization skills, such as statistical mapping.
- Fluid written and verbal communication skills.
- Advanced problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated management and leadership skills.
- Willingness to learn new technologies and equipment.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the capacity to work well with a diverse range of individuals.
- Approachable and collaborative with a willingness to learn as well as to teach.
- At least five years of data-driven journalism experience with demonstrated results.
- Proven track record to manage multiple tasks and ongoing projects under tight deadlines.
- Some management experience preferred.
- Experience with interactive or visual journalism a plus.
- Strong analytical, research and investigative skills.
- Team player and commitment to the values and mission of the Center for Public Integrity.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, juggling multiple projects and deadlines.
- Ability and willingness to collaborate with other reporters, editors, and media partners.
- Some travel.
TO APPLY: All applications should include a cover letter, resume, and no more than five (5) news clips, sent to email@example.com.
DEADLINE TO APPLY: August 20, 2017
The Center for Public Integrity was founded in 1989 by investigative journalist Charles Lewis. We are one of the country’s oldest and largest nonpartisan, nonprofit investigative news organizations. We are also the winner of the 2014 Pulitzer Prize for investigative reporting and the 2017 Pulitzer Prize for explanatory reporting.
Our mission: To serve democracy by revealing abuses of power, corruption and betrayal of public trust by powerful public and private institutions, using the tools of investigative journalism.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org