Website The Center for Public Integrity
Reports to: Executive Editor
The Pulitzer Prize-winning Center for Public Integrity seeks a detail-oriented digital journalist to produce daily and multi-part investigative projects on www.publicintegrity.org and other digital platforms.
The Digital Editor will lead newsroom presentation for the Center’s groundbreaking investigative journalism. The Digital Editor owns the production schedule for the editorial calendar, and coordinates the various components of a project from conception to publication. The successful candidate will have a knack for compelling storytelling and an ability to clearly, calmly and creatively present complex, long-form projects.
This is a terrific opportunity to do impactful public-service journalism in a collegial work environment in the heart of the nation’s capital.
The Center for Public Integrity is committed to hiring employees from diverse backgrounds with excellent investigative journalism skills. People of color, women, LGBTQ and differently-abled people are strongly encouraged to apply.
Responsibilities and Expectations:
· Work with other editors in managing the production process to ensure projects receive the best possible digital presentation;
· Lead production meetings to make sure everything comes together for editorial projects;
· Design and lay out our reports in a visually compelling manner, including photos, graphics and multimedia components, and schedule publishing;
· Collaborate to help compose story headlines and summary copy;
· Commission and oversee photography, graphics and artwork;
· Design charts, lists and other simple graphic elements as needed;
· In partnership with the Audience Engagement Editor, track site analytics and use data to inform decisions and report to the newsroom;
· Help editors publish on the website and distribute Center work to syndicated partners;
· Manage website development and design as we maintain, evolve and eventually replace our existing platform.
Desired Skills and Qualifications:
· At least two years’ experience in digital journalism;
· Some design or visual journalism experience preferred;
· Highly proficient in web-based publishing tools and technologies;
· Excellent headline writing and copy editing skills;
· Proficient in Photoshop, AP Style, analytics tools and social media platforms;
· Entrepreneurial, curious and passionate about investigative reporting;
· Bachelor’s degree or higher.
· Non-supervisory position;
· Some evening/weekend work occasionally required.
Interested candidates should email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put job title in the subject line. Deadline to apply: Tuesday, Oct. 24.
The Center for Public Integrity was founded in 1989 by investigative journalist Charles Lewis. We are one of the country’s oldest and largest nonpartisan, nonprofit investigative news organizations. We are also the winner of the 2014 Pulitzer Prize for investigative reporting and the 2017 Pulitzer Prize for explanatory reporting.
Our mission: To serve democracy by revealing abuses of power, corruption and betrayal of public trust by powerful public and private institutions, using the tools of investigative journalism.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com