The Conversation U.S. is looking for a dynamic journalist to be part of our religion team. We are seeking to hire someone with a minimum of 5 years’ experience who is passionate about understanding and explaining the role that faith and ethics play in the world.
The Religion and Ethics Editor will commission and edit stories from scholars to help our growing audience understand how religion shapes the culture and politics of societies worldwide. This editor will be well versed in world affairs, religion, spirituality and ethics issues, and have the ability to analyze current events, compelling research and emerging issues from a religion-based perspective. The Conversation covers faith and ethics as interdisciplinary, dynamic and ever-changing. We report on organized religions and all other belief systems.
Our team is working remotely now, but we anticipate a return to our offices by September 2021. We will consider candidates across the United States, but we prefer someone who will be able to work out of one of our newsrooms in Boston or Brooklyn later this year. We offer generous benefits including three weeks of vacation.
Who are we?
The Conversation U.S. is a 6-year-old independent, nonprofit media organization that each day publishes explanatory journalism and analysis authored by academics, edited by journalists and aimed at the general public. Our team of professional editors works with scholars from universities across the U.S. to help them share their research and apply their expertise to topical issues. We are a nontraditional daily newsroom that values smart and fast work and attracts 20 million readers each month.
The Conversation U.S. is deeply committed to inclusion and diversity. We encourage members of traditionally underrepresented groups – including people who are Black, Latinx, Asian American, Native American, LGBTQ+ or veterans of the armed services – to apply to join our team.
- Commission and edit stories daily. Our editors traditionally produce about 3-4 stories a week.
- As part of the Global Religion Journalism Initiative, collaborate with reporters and editors at The Associated Press and Religion News Service on stories, special projects and event planning.
- Provide thought leadership by seeking out networking and speaking opportunities.
- Review and respond in a timely and helpful manner to all pitches received from member university personnel.
- Provide mentorship and support to scholars writing journalistically for the first time.
- Cultivate relationships with university partners while also maintaining editorial independence
- Conduct photo research to accompany articles
- Excellent news judgment
- Curious and open-minded
- Calm under pressure
- Excellent fact-checking ability
- Detailed and organized
- Willingness to ask for help when needed
- Bachelor’s degree
- Minimum 5 years of journalism experience
- Ability to work to a daily deadline
- Commitment to working with a diverse collaborative team
- Experience in online content production
How to apply for this job:
Send your resume and a cover letter telling us why you want to work for The Conversation U.S. to email@example.com with the words “Religion and Ethics Editor” in the subject line.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org