The Forward is seeking a responsible and resourceful journalist to work side-by-side with its new Editor-in-Chief on strategy, operations and new initiatives as project manager. This is an experimental, year-long fellowship, a great entry-level opportunity for an omnivorous learner and dexterous doer. Salary for the guild-represented, full-time position is $37,304, with generous benefits.
This is not a reporting and writing job, though there may be occasional opportunities in those realms. It is, instead, a front-row seat to the challenges of digital nonprofit journalism, a chance to participate in real time in the revamping of a venerable legacy institution into an innovative, modern, essential outlet for news and conversation.
The ideal candidate will be passionate about digital media and also about the Jewish world. Nimbleness and ability to juggle multiple assignments is a must, as is skepticism, humility and humor. The fellow should be someone who thinks and moves quickly, researches widely, writes cleanly, communicates professionally, works collaboratively and has a strong sense of mission. Social-media savvy is a must; fluency with audience/analytics tools a plus; eagerness to learn new skills and try new things both crucial.
As this is a new role — supporting someone who is also new in her role — duties and responsibilities will undoubtedly evolve over time and depending on the candidate selected. But sample projects and tasks might include:
– Doing competitive landscape research for new initiatives
– Helping Editor-in-Chief prepare for speaking engagements, presentations and stakeholder meetings with Jewish leaders, groups, philanthropists
– Curating content from other sources for roundups/publication
– Digging into audience data to understand trends and find opportunities
– Ensuring priority projects stay on schedule and tracking their impact
– Communicating with readers and others on behalf of editor and team
– Finding and vetting candidates to submit pieces to the Forward
– Developing partnership programs to engage members of Jewish organizations
– Building networks of contributors at college campuses
To apply for this job please visit forward.com.