The Hechinger Report is looking for a Development Director. This new position will work closely with our executive director and our business and administration manager and other key staff members and consultants to maintain our existing revenue streams and help find new ones. He or she will oversee writing and reporting for our current 16 private foundation grants, help us find more foundation-funded opportunities and grow our membership program.
The Development Director will research new opportunities, develop an overarching strategy for our financial future and establish new funding streams that would add to our long-term sustainability. He or she will also work with our advisory board to maximize donor potential. Eventually, we would like the Development Director to lead the launch of a major donor program and stand up a corporate sponsorship program.
The Development Director will join a small, passionate team of journalists dedicated to reporting on education with fair, accurate and engaging storytelling. He or she will work well in a news and research-focused environment where the mission is to find and tell the truth about America’s education system, rather than to push any particular narrative. The Development Director will have a clear vision for how Hechinger can best maintain and grow its annual budget to continue and expand its work.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 7+ years experience in nonprofit development
- 3+ years experience managing at least one fundraising stream (ie grants or a membership program)
- Knowledge of and ability to use CRM software (ie Salesforce)
- Knowledge of and ability to use email marketing software (ie MailChimp)
- Experience interfacing with foundations and managing grant reporting requirements
- Expertise in grant writing
- Experience with or a readiness to learn the tenets of small-donor fundraising
- Ability to set and communicate a clear path to financial sustainability for a small nonprofit
- Existing network of contacts among relevant potential funders
- Ability to travel regularly throughout the year in pursuit of funding opportunities
- Experience running a membership program
- 10+ years experience in nonprofit development
- Journalism experience or experience working with journalists
- Familiarity with the field of education
- Experience fundraising for a nonprofit news outlet
The Hechinger Report is based at Teachers College, Columbia University. Please apply through the Teachers College site.