Position: Full-time Associate Editor for The Imprint, a national nonprofit news outlet covering child welfare and juvenile justice
Company: Fostering Media Connections
Compensation: $50,000-55,000 annually
Fostering Media Connections (FMC) is a nonprofit news organization that publishes The Imprint, an online publication and Fostering Families Today, a bi-monthly print magazine. FMC’s Youth Voice program is a journalism training program for young people with lived experience in the child welfare and juvenile justice systems.
Position Purpose and Summary
The associate editor’s primary function is to support the executive editor in ensuring stories are published on The Imprint’s website with the highest level of accuracy and quality. This includes helping to edit copy from a team of writers across the country as well as freelancers and opinion contributors. The associate editor will also be responsible for assembling art to accompany stories and readying the packages for publication.
- Serves as primary copy editor, making decisions on usage, style, and cuts/adds to stories.
- Writes and/or edits editorial copy as necessary.
- Uploads stories into WordPress CMS (Gutenberg), optimizes for social media and search engines.
- Works closely with other editors and reporters.
Tracks stories to ensure editorial grant deliverables are met (using AirTable).
- Supports development and recruitment of a strong and diverse pool of freelance talent to provide copy, illustration and photography.
- Helping shape coverage direction and developing story ideas in regional markets.
- Minimum of three years’ experience as an editor or copy editor.
- High level of comfort using WordPress Gutenburg content management system.
- Proficient in AP style.
- Comfortable using Adobe Photoshop or other photo editing software.
- Ability to manage multiple projects at once with a sense of urgency required to work in a deadline-driven environment.
- Some experience with web development project management may be helpful.
- Positive attitude, team player with professional demeanor.
Compensation and Benefits
The associate editor will earn an annual salary of $50,000 to $55,000, depending on experience. Benefits include vacation time, a generous winter holiday break, sick time, subsidized health insurance and a retirement matching plan. While the organization is based in Los Angeles, this is a remote position and may be based anywhere in the U. S.
Fostering Media Connections is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status. FMC does not tolerate harassment or discrimination of any kind in the workplace. Applications from diverse candidates are encouraged.
HOW TO APPLY
If you are interested in this job, please submit your cover letter, five clips that you have written or edited, two professional references and a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.