Website The Marshall Project
The Marshall Project seeks a Design Director to oversee the award-winning visuals of the publication, including digital design, graphics, video, photography and illustration.
The ideal candidate is a well-rounded journalist and designer with five or more years of experience in media or publishing. The Design Director should have a wide range of visual interests and experience and the ability to juggle a variety of tasks in a small but ambitious newsroom. They should be as prepared to roll up their sleeves to craft the newsroom’s biggest projects as they are to review and contribute to the design work of colleagues and outside contractors alike.
- Design and build presentations and experiences that expand and improve upon The Marshall Project’s storytelling, from everyday news stories to our biggest marquee features
- Uphold design standards for The Marshall Project and define a fresh visual language for telling the story of criminal justice
- Contribute to the ideation and execution of multimedia projects that include photo, illustration, video and graphics
- Work with newsroom colleagues to build The Marshall Project’s audience through new products and engagement strategies
- Partner with the director of technology on UX and design language for the core website and all of our other products, including newsletters and social media
- Work with partner news organizations to coordinate design and art for co-published stories
- Work with the president, development director and communications director in using visual communication to build support and engagement with The Marshall Project
- A nuanced grasp of typography, color, motion and space
- Demonstrated digital news design experience, or abiding interest in news and storytelling
- Precise attention to detail and strong computer skills
- Strong HTML and CSS skills are required
- Strong sense of news judgment and storytelling
- An eye for critical design thinking; must love to review design work and nurture others doing design across the organization
- Familiarity with print design and print production fundamentals
If you don’t have this exact combination of skills, that’s fine. Let us know what your strengths are, and tell us about other skills you have that we didn’t ask about that you think will help our newsroom’s efforts.
WHO WE ARE
The Marshall Project is a nonprofit news organization dedicated to covering America’s criminal justice system. In 2016, The Marshall Project was awarded the Pulitzer Prize. It has also been honored with the prestigious World’s Best award from the Society for News Design and the Best Website Ellie from the American Society of Magazine Editors.
We are an equal opportunity employer that welcomes qualified applicants of all races, ethnicities, physical abilities, genders and sexual orientations, including people who have been incarcerated.