Innovative Thinking for the Nonprofit Sector
NPQ is a 20 year old nonprofit news site; its mission is to foster an active, engaged and sometimes disruptive civil sector.
NPQ (https://nonprofitquarterly.org) is one of the most prominent publishers in the U.S. civil sector, providing cutting edge analysis on issues that affect the work of activists, in movements, nonprofits and philanthropy. As is reflected in our mission, NPQ is particularly concerned with this sector’s role as a venue and facilitator of active democracy; within that, we are attentive to the issues of communities that have been socially, politically and economically marginalized. NPQ is known for its critical, independent stance and its bridging of knowledge development between academic and practice settings.
There are 7 additional editorial staff
The newswire is published five days a week and tracks developments in policy, philanthropy and practice. A pool of volunteer lay journalists contributes to that content using their grounded knowledge base to provide context and meaning for those working in the field.
This position is dedicated primarily to the newswire program, recruiting, screening, coaching, editing, writing as possible, and providing training resources to the writers. Other duties may be assigned.
· Experience in and knowledge of the civil sector and the current critical issues within it
· Digital engagement strategies, familiarity with social networking, subject related blogs
· Journalism and editing background
· Project management
· Volunteer/community engagement and management
· Knowledge of similar community-fueled organizational models like Wikipedia and MoveOn a plus
- Manage community of newswire writers, including recruitment, screening, training, and larger-scale collaborative projects.
- Coach authors to shape content, style and approach during the writing process to keep them on track and on target for delivery.
- Manage content delivery for symposia and educational events. Manage partnerships with networks.
- Help develop and manage avenues for extending story reach through networks.
- Manage webinars and other special projects as needed.
- Support Editor-in-Chief as needed. This includes administrative duties.
- Social justice oriented
- Curious, creative, and excited about finding new journalistic ground
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Digitally oriented, attention to detail
- Works easily in a highly charged but highly cooperative team environment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
This a full-time position based in downtown Boston. Nonprofit Quarterly offers a competitive salary and a generous benefit package including paid vacation, paid sick time, personal time, holidays, medical insurance, dental insurance, long term disability insurance, and life insurance.
Please send your resume and letter of interest – email@example.com. No phone calls please.
To apply for this job email your details to HR@npqmag.org