Nonprofit newsroom educating the public on military service.
The War Horse team is seeking an entrepreneurial, strategic, organized, and highly effective leader to join our organization’s management team as Philanthropy and Community Outreach Manager. Our values are integrity, respect, and community.
The Philanthropy and Community Outreach Manager role offers the opportunity to join a team deeply committed to our mission and to make significant contributions to a growing movement to hold the Departments of Defense and Veterans Affairs accountable. Our nonprofit newsroom is well-positioned to increase its fundraising capacity: we have committed board leadership and advisors, a compelling vision, a talented team, and a growing donor base which values our work.
Our future Philanthropy and Community Outreach Manager will exemplify integrity, selflessness, and tenacity. Reporting to the Executive Director and collaborating with board members, the Philanthropy and Community Outreach Manager is a key member of the senior leadership team, involved in all strategic planning and decision-making. In partnership with the executive leadership staff, the Philanthropy and Community Outreach Manager is responsible for developing and implementing a sustainability-centered fundraising strategy from institutional support, to major donors, to membership and other critical partnerships that will allow our newsroom to thrive.
At The War Horse we proudly maintain editorial independence from our donors and don’t just accept difference—we support and celebrate it. Our newsroom and our community thrives on it. We want, in turn, to ensure that a wide variety of voices are present and represented in all that we do. We welcome all applicants regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, income level, disability, gender identity, veteran status, or other personal characteristic.
Founded in 2016 out of concern over legacy media companies’ declining investment in high quality reporting about military and veteran affairs, The War Horse has grown to become a national leader in the military and reporting communities. Our work has created international headlines, changed multiple military and federal laws, and has been featured in Vanity Fair, the Center for Investigative Reporting, and many others. Our growing community of donors and supporters include Fortune 100 companies, Ivy League Universities, leading foundations, and philanthropists from around the world.
WAR HORSE FELLOWS: Since 2016, The War Horse has published more than 150 reflections, which form the cornerstone of our newsroom and provide vital context for our reporting. Many of these stories come directly from our writing seminars, all-expenses-paid workshops centered around community building and training the next generation of war writers. Our writing seminars ensure those most affected by war have a prominent voice in the national conversation. Learn more, here.
NEWSROOM: In order for our War Horse Fellows stories to reach the broadest audience, The War Horse publishes in-depth reporting. Our investigative and multimedia reporting has been awarded for excellence and has led to changes in military and federal law. Our future Philanthropy and Community Outreach Manager will be deeply committed to building a sustainable nonprofit newsroom that shines a light on abuses of power and betrayals of public trust — and sticks with those issues as long as it takes to hold power to account.
It is expected that funding raised to support The War Horse will increase and diversify in the coming years. The Philanthropy and Community Outreach Manager will design and implement a comprehensive plan to build on The War Horse’s strong base of support and to develop new strategies and relationships that increase our visibility, impact, and long-term sustainability. The Philanthropy and Community Outreach Manager must have a proven track record of taking a creative, entrepreneurial and institution-building approach to their work.
- Work with senior newsroom leadership, board members, and advisors to develop and implement a comprehensive multi-year development strategy that includes major donors, foundations, corporate, and membership programs.
- Seek out other non-traditional partnerships with the potential to expand The War Horse’s brand-awareness and increase our resources, financial, in-kind, or otherwise. Set short- and long-term growth goals aimed at identifying new prospects, cultivating deeper ties with donors and securing multi-year support.
- Alongside senior leadership, develop and manage our newsroom’s event strategy, including quarterly luncheons, private dinners, and donor briefings. Oversee monitoring of all donor information in Salesforce; provide and present statistical analysis to the board, senior leaders, and major stakeholders.
- Work with the Executive Director and Board of Directors to define the board’s fundraising role, including taking a leadership role in establishing board committees. Oversee development and execution of all grant proposals, reports and donor communications, with a long-term, relationship-building approach.
- Lead and manage our development team as we welcome new staff and contractors to our team. Promote strong leadership and effective management while fostering an environment of respect, creativity and professional fulfillment.
This is an extraordinary opportunity for an individual with extensive program management experience to grow and develop an organization with a track record of significant impact in nonprofit news.
- Must be high energy and creative with impeccable attention to detail. Flexible and adaptable style; a leader who can positively impact both strategic and tactical fundraising initiatives.
- Passion for our mission is essential. Five-plus years of professional development experience in a nonprofit organization and demonstrated success working on a team that closed gifts totalling more than $2.5M annually.
- Proven track record of expanding and cultivating existing donor relationships over time, and of developing creative strategies to foster relationships with new donors. Experience effectively engaging with a board to support an organization’s fundraising goals.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral; ability to influence and engage a wide range of donors and build genuine, long-term relationships based on a passion for our mission, and implement annual strategic development plans and multi-year campaigns.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
This position is full time and location is flexible. The position offers a starting salary of $55,000, an expanding benefits package through Gusto, and an incredible opportunity for personal and professional growth among our growing newsroom team. To have a profound impact on the communities we serve, submit your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com