Website Voice of San Diego
Unveiling the unseen.
SUMMARY: Under the direction of the Associate Editor, intern will have the opportunity to work alongside Voice of San Diego reporters and help develop impactful stories. Intern will obtain a better understanding of local politics and compelling investigative storytelling that serves the San Diego community. In addition to helping reporters with projects, the intern is expected to pursue her or his own stories and pitch ideas to the editorial team. Intern will learn to gather and analyze facts through interviews, investigations or observations about current events and/or topics, and write stories in an objective and accurate manner, describing the events, background, meaning, and effects.
This is a paid internship. Intern is expected to work a minimum of 16 hours and maximum of 20 hours per week. Position is available September 23 to December 20, 2019.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
· Help research stories.
· Transcribe and edit stories.
· Collect data from public documents.
· Assist with data collection for projects like the Parent’s Guide
· Assist with events.
· Follow all company and department policies and procedures.
· Develop and maintain productive, informative and respectful relationships that support the achievement of Voice of San Diego’s mission statement.
· Perform other duties as assigned.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: None.
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements following this paragraph are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
· Pursuing a Bachelor’s degree in journalism, English, communications or a related/equivalent degree is required.
· Proficiency in AP style.
· Must have a strong command of spelling, grammar and punctuation.
· Must have advanced writing, editing and communication skills; write clearly and concisely; be accurate and unbiased; be curious and creative.
· Must have initiative and persistence to investigate records and to interview and probe unremittingly; develop and interview sources for stories.
· Must be able to schedule effectively to meet deadlines.
· Must possess extreme attention to detail and accuracy; organizational skills, advanced internet and data researching skills and an understanding of how to write and publish for the Web.
PLEASE SUBMIT A COVER LETTER, RESUME AND LINKS TO 3 WRITING SAMPLES.
To apply for this job email your details to VOSD_HR@voiceofsandiego.org